I hit my first homerun today......

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

davidlsi

Fire Starter
Original poster
Sep 2, 2010
I was up before the sun and put this boneless chuck roast on the smoker.  One full smoker box filled with soaked apple wood.

Smoked it until around 1:00pm and then let it rest for about 45 minutes.   During the third quarter as the Bears were losing again we enjoyed the tender juiciness sliced on some fresh rolls.

I tried a new sauce for the sandwiches made by A & W that has root beer richness to it.

I am so happy with the results this time everyone loved it, we finished it before the end of the game.

Now the important part the q-view...

1ad23362_SmokedChuckRoastforsandwiches4.jpg

314efa3a_SmokedChuckRoastforsandwiches1.jpg

c9930342_SmokedChuckRoastforsandwiches3.jpg

Thanks for viewing,  I am so happy I found this forum and the all the great tips and instructions.

SeeYa

DavidLSI
hey David.  Can u give a some details on how u smoked ur chuckie?

Sure thing....

I seasoned it with salt, pepper, onion powder and garlic powder.

Then marinated it over night in soy sauce, terriyaki and some red wine

I have an electric Brinkman and plugged it in about 5:30 am

I have a cast iron smoke box that I filled with apple chips that soaked in water for about a half hour (I added the water from the soaking to the water bowl in the smoker) and place this box directly on the heating element..

Put the meat on the lower rack at 6:00

Once the smoke stopped billowing out I check the temp of the smoker and it was at about 225 so I cracked open the side door a small amount which brought the temp to just over 200 and that is where it stayed.

About 4 hours in I pushed in the internal thermometer and the Chucky was about 138

about 11:30 or so the meat was at 165, that is when I pulled and double wrapped in foil.  Since it was so moist I did not add any liquid to the wrapping.

Just before 1:00 pm it read the 200 mark and I pulled the meat off the smoker to rest.   The family was hungry so the resting only lasted about 35 -45 minutes.  

I opened the foil and started the video camera.....  

I had two sandwiches everyone else had one (6 sandwiches total) and there was only a few cuts left over to nibble on as the afternoon went on.

Hope that was what you where looking for.

Last edited:
Looks like some great grub to me!!!

That is what the site is good for. Great food and Great smokes.

It looks good
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

icon_cool.gif
Now the chuckie looks awesome and it sounds good in a sandwich but we have to talk about the sauce now. WHY??? JK to each their own.

Last edited:
icon_cool.gif
Now the chuckie looks awesome and it sounds good in a sandwich but we have to talk about the sauce now. WHY??? JK to each their own.
icon_smile.gif
 Good question...  Why as in????   

Store bought, basically I am trying to learn this smoking and low and slow cooking in steps.  Once I get the feel for good results on the meat I will think about creating my own sauce.

or

This Brand/Flavor, We have the advantage of  a Jewel grocery store by our house that has a big selection and the label caught my eye.  Plus the idea of a root beer enhanced sauce sounded good.  I would give this sauce a thumbs up in taste.  

or

The using any sauce at all,  I do know about the big divide between those who like'em wet and them who like'em dry....  I do enjoy the sauce and will finish my ribs with the sauce at the end to add a glazing layer.  In this case sliced for sandwiches was the goal and I left it up to the family  to choose if they wanted a sauce and which one.  We have a bunch of brands started in the fridge.

Having the electric Brinkman allows me focus on the meat and not have to add fire tending to the mix.  Which will be my next step, to learn to control the fire.  At some point sauce creation will become a priority. 

Congrats on the first success. One thing I noticed in the video is that you did not save the meat juices to pour over the sliced meat. Try that next time and you will be one really happy camper.

That looks awesome! Cool looking knife too. Thanks for sharing. I use sauce sometimes too, a local fella makes some great stuff and I like to support him.

Congrats on the first success. One thing I noticed in the video is that you did not save the meat juices to pour over the sliced meat. Try that next time and you will be one really happy camper.
looks good and what gary said..............

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky