I have to lean something new!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

insight3fl

Original poster
Jan 26, 2014
SW Florida
Well, with a Weber Kettle that used to be my only grill 40 years ago and that is used only a few times a year now, along with my Broilmaster primary gasser used 4 times a week, my back up old Sunbeam Aluminum headed classic gas grill from when my Mother passed 5 years ago, to my second MES I just got after the first one died from over use for 10 years, I just WON a fully decked out Big Green Egg!!! (Local Charity Raffle)

Now what do I do?? :emoji_astonished:

Yep, get it home season it up and throw on some meat! Only way to learn! And take lots of pics!

Ryan

Reactions: chopsaw
First things gonna be figuring out how to get it home and then set it wherever you gonna set it.. those things are HEAVYYYYY ...

Congrats on the win ...

Reactions: TNJAKE
Congrats on the win. Nothing compares to lump charcoal flavored grilling. Sell the gassers and convert that money to meat and coal haha

If you plan on just grilling on it, nothing. Just add charcoal and get to it. If you are planing on also using it as a smoker, get a BBQ Guru set up and if it doesn't already have one, a deflector plate.
When using it as a smoker there is a bit of a learning curve, first thing you need to learn is to bring it up to temp slowly. It is easy to increase the temp, almost impossible to decrease the temp. Start it up with vents wide open but, as soon as the charcoal has started to catch begin closing things down. Without a BBQ Guru, for smoking, close down the top vents to a small slit, maybe a 1/4 inch max, even a 1/8 inch. Close the bottom vent also to just a very small opening of 1/8-1/4 inch.
I used to have a XL BGE and with those parameters it stayed steady at 250° for hours and hours and hours.

First things gonna be figuring out how to get it home and then set it wherever you gonna set it.. those things are HEAVYYYYY ...

Congrats on the win ...
Thanks... local Ace Hardware.... Assembled and delivered free!!!! Thank Goodness from what I read about putting it together.

If you plan on just grilling on it, nothing. Just add charcoal and get to it. If you are planing on also using it as a smoker, get a BBQ Guru set up and if it doesn't already have one, a deflector plate.
When using it as a smoker there is a bit of a learning curve, first thing you need to learn is to bring it up to temp slowly. It is easy to increase the temp, almost impossible to decrease the temp. Start it up with vents wide open but, as soon as the charcoal has started to catch begin closing things down. Without a BBQ Guru, for smoking, close down the top vents to a small slit, maybe a 1/4 inch max, even a 1/8 inch. Close the bottom vent also to just a very small opening of 1/8-1/4 inch.
I used to have a XL BGE and with those parameters it stayed steady at 250° for hours and hours and hours.
Thanks.. that is a great tip. I always had trouble with my weber keeping it below 300 degrees...I can imagine the heat retention of the ceramic on the BGE compared to the weber. Would be very hard to cool down.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky