I Hate Price Gougers: Insane Prices For Taco Seasoning

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Have not bought taco seasoning in a very long time. https://topsecretrecipes.com/taco-bell-enchirito-improved-copycat-recipe.html

Do it exactly... Add to raw meat, do not drain, and add water. Add 1/2tsp accent (my mod) and it is nearly identical to the Bell.

That said, if you are into "tacos/mexican" get a Tex Mex Book. Big time game changer. Mine is authored by Robb Walsh. Amazon links not working for me.

Stores in my area are opening earlier for the elderly,I went to one the other day shelves still void of TP ,Pasta,eggs things you should have normally.I heard BJs is opening an hour earlier tomorrow I am going to check it out.
Richie

I sure hope this one stays on track. Certainly feel free to share any experiences you've had but let's not get TOO vocal about it :emoji_wink:

I made tacos the other night and after doing so realized I was getting low on my taco seasoning. I've been using the McCormick premium mix for several years and just add a couple things to amp it up. The stuff is a good base to start with and we've enjoyed it. Been buying it from Costco for years now but really didn't want to deal with the fools that are on a shopping rampage so decided to check Amazon and see if they had it. Yes, they did. The price for this stuff has been about $6 for a 24 oz. jug, which I didn't consider bad at all. That'll season up a lot of tacos. Well, the cheapest I could find it on Amazon was $24 for the same jug. Sorry, but that's just insane and in no uncertain terms, it's price gouging. I refused to pay that so went about putting together my own taco seasoning recipe. Read through several then put my version on paper. Made a batch of it while the beef stew was simmering yesterday afternoon and it it fantastic!! Way better than McCormick's!! Just thought I'd take a minute and share in case any of you are in the same sinking boat. Here is what I put together:

4 T chili powder
1 T cumin
1 T coriander
1 T paprika (smoked is best)
1 T salt
1 ½ t garlic powder
2 t dried onion*
1 t oregano* (Mexican if you have it)
1 t black pepper
1 T corn starch
2 t crushed red pepper*
1 t guajillo pepper**
½ t arbol pepper**

* lightly pulse in a spice grinder
** can use 1 t cayenne instead if preferred

Mix all spices. Add 3 T and 1/3 cup of water per per pound of meat and adjust according to taste. Recommend making a double batch if you like tacos a lot. This does not make much.

Give it a shot folks. Lots of flavor, tons of depth, and a lot of complexity. Have not actually made tacos with it but did a taste comparison with the McCormick's and this won hands down.

Necessity is the mother of all invention,
Robert
I have taco seasoning that is to die for,
Is this that taco seasoning you talking about Robert?

Is this that taco seasoning you talking about Robert?
That is the one Brian. I've started adding just a touch of Sazon Goya to it though and have not adjusted the base recipe. Gotta be careful with the Sazon Goya though. It can get a bit salty if you overdo it.
Stuff is all we use for tacos now
You and me both brother!! I lucked out big time putting that one together. we do a lot of tacos around here and when Imake the stuff, I do 6X the recipe amount.

Robert

That is the one Brian. I've started adding just a touch of Sazon Goya to it though and have not adjusted the base recipe. Gotta be careful with the Sazon Goya though. It can get a bit salty if you overdo it.

You and me both brother!! I lucked out big time putting that one together. we do a lot of tacos around here and when Imake the stuff, I do 6X the recipe amount.

Robert
I make your taco seasoning in huge batches. Usually have a 32 oz shaker in the cupboard.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky