I got 3 big 'ol butts oh Yeah...w/Qview.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

brentman0110

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Oct 4, 2007
So, I decided to cook up some butts today for the fella's at work and some for home. I got (3) 9# butts rubbed with:

Brown Sugar
Garlic Powder
Onion Powder
Coarse Sea Salt
Coarse Black Pepper
Paprika
Cayenne Pepper (for a little kick)

All three in the smoker and ready to go!!

Looks good Brent keep the Qview coming are you using a finishing sauce when you pull them?

Great lookin' butts, Brent. The rub looks like it's going to make for a really nice bark! Are you going to spritz/mop the butts with anything??
PDT_Armataz_01_28.gif

Absolutely! I love Jeff's finishing sauce. Cannot eat BBQ any other way anymore.

That is almost the same rub that I put on my ribs I am smoking right now with the exception of the cayenne and the sea salt. I used Kosher coarse instead. Is the sea salt that much better?

Yeah, it makes for a mighty fine bark even fat cap up, which I do not normally do.

I actually put them on at 9:00 this morning. Every hour I have been spritzing with Apple Juice. No mop today. Here are the pics after 5 hours. Temp is 141F. I intend to keep throwing the smoke to them until 180 or so then I will probably foil and sling them in the oven. Or should I keep them in the smoker ?

To me, you cannot beat sea salt. Kosher is a little too granular for me, unless I am putting it on baked taters. Anyway, the sea salt ground gives a nice smooth salty flavor versus the bite of Kosher. Does that make sense?

Great looking qvue, awesome, dark bark!! That thing is sure to have a nice smoke ring when all is said and done ... what I'd give to smell that TBS today!!
biggrin.gif

Just drip pans to catch the juicy goodness. I take that and then put them into the fridge. After the fat congeals, I take the fat ring and then save it for "quickie" smoked baked beans. All it takes is a small wedge of smoked fat in the beans and wallah!

I put mine in the oven after I foil them, there not going to take any smoke while wrappped so I dont see the use in wasting my fuel, but that is only my opinion.

anyway, I am sure those are going to taste wonderful!!

6.5 hours in and have found the plateau at 162. Been there for about and hour. Spritzing every hour.

Great lookin' bark!!! What measurements are you using for your rub, if I may ask? That is about the same mix that I use for my ribs, but I have added rosemary for the ribs.

well, per batch

1 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup paprika
1 tablespoon Coarse black pepper
1 tablespoon Coarse Sea salt
2 tablespoon garlic powder
2 tablespoon onion powder
1 teaspoon cayenne

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky