I got 3 big 'ol butts oh Yeah...w/Qview.

Discussion in 'Pork' started by brentman0110, Jun 21, 2008.

1. brentman0110

brentman0110 Meat Mopper

So, I decided to cook up some butts today for the fella's at work and some for home. I got (3) 9# butts rubbed with:

Brown Sugar
    Garlic Powder
    Onion Powder
    Coarse Sea Salt
    Coarse Black Pepper
    Paprika
    Cayenne Pepper (for a little kick)

All three in the smoker and ready to go!!

2. pineywoods

pineywoods Smoking Guru Staff Member Administrator Group Lead SMF Premier Member

Looks good Brent keep the Qview coming are you using a finishing sauce when you pull them?

3. richtee

richtee Smoking Guru OTBS Member

I like how the rub compliments the granite countertops :{) Nice!

4. jdfire40

jdfire40 Fire Starter

Looks good already!

5. sumosmoke

sumosmoke Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Great lookin' butts, Brent. The rub looks like it's going to make for a really nice bark! Are you going to spritz/mop the butts with anything?? [​IMG]

6. brentman0110

brentman0110 Meat Mopper

Absolutely! I love Jeff's finishing sauce. Cannot eat BBQ any other way anymore.

7. That is almost the same rub that I put on my ribs I am smoking right now with the exception of the cayenne and the sea salt. I used Kosher coarse instead. Is the sea salt that much better?

8. brentman0110

brentman0110 Meat Mopper

Yeah, it makes for a mighty fine bark even fat cap up, which I do not normally do.

I actually put them on at 9:00 this morning. Every hour I have been spritzing with Apple Juice. No mop today. Here are the pics after 5 hours. Temp is 141F. I intend to keep throwing the smoke to them until 180 or so then I will probably foil and sling them in the oven. Or should I keep them in the smoker ?

9. brentman0110

brentman0110 Meat Mopper

To me, you cannot beat sea salt. Kosher is a little too granular for me, unless I am putting it on baked taters. Anyway, the sea salt ground gives a nice smooth salty flavor versus the bite of Kosher. Does that make sense?

10. sumosmoke

sumosmoke Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Great looking qvue, awesome, dark bark!! That thing is sure to have a nice smoke ring when all is said and done ... what I'd give to smell that TBS today!! [​IMG]

11. that makes sense to me and I will try it next time. Thanks for the input.

12. Looks really great! Are those just drip pans under each rack or do you have three pans of water?

13. brentman0110

brentman0110 Meat Mopper

Just drip pans to catch the juicy goodness. I take that and then put them into the fridge. After the fat congeals, I take the fat ring and then save it for "quickie" smoked baked beans. All it takes is a small wedge of smoked fat in the beans and wallah!

14. krusher

krusher Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

I put mine in the oven after I foil them, there not going to take any smoke while wrappped so I dont see the use in wasting my fuel, but that is only my opinion.

anyway, I am sure those are going to taste wonderful!!

15. brentman0110

brentman0110 Meat Mopper

That was my thought as well.

Thanks,

Brent

16. brentman0110

brentman0110 Meat Mopper

6.5 hours in and have found the plateau at 162. Been there for about and hour. Spritzing every hour.

17. safety1

safety1 Fire Starter SMF Premier Member

Great lookin' bark!!! What measurements are you using for your rub, if I may ask? That is about the same mix that I use for my ribs, but I have added rosemary for the ribs.

18. brentman0110

brentman0110 Meat Mopper

well, per batch

1 cup brown sugar
    1/4 cup paprika
    1 tablespoon Coarse black pepper
    1 tablespoon Coarse Sea salt
    2 tablespoon garlic powder
    2 tablespoon onion powder
    1 teaspoon cayenne

19. erain

erain Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

those are some great lookin butts brent. am gonna have to do another soon!!! great job!!!

20. abelman

abelman Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Those are looking great and I love the bark, [​IMG]