I feel it coming on again.....

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

deannc

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Jun 13, 2010
Cradle of Cue, NC
an addiction to smoking, hummm...just what I need another smoking habit! LOL Hello, all...I stumbled upon this great site yesterday and it was the another indicator in the last few weeks that I was ready to start smoking again! Definitely appreciate all the great information from all of you!  I only wished I'd have had access to such information back in the 80s when I made several attempts with the old Brinkman charcoal smoker.

As I jumped the gun yesterday and had to post about my acquisition last night before introducing myself, I thought I'd better come in here to Roll Call and take care of that asap! 

This current craving all started a few weeks ago when the wife and I were walking out of Wally World.  Out of the corner of my eye, I noticed an upright box with a propane tank which instantly made me turn around and check it out.  My mind instantly went back to the days of trying to keep the heat up smoking a turkey with the old Brinkman...lol  Guess I've been so far removed from smoking I didn't even realize these have been out for so long!

With the wife being from the Kansas City area and me growing up in Memphis and living in NC most of my adult life, needless to say we both love Q!  So anyway, she come up with an idea to do a small butt yesterday in the slow cooker, that I tried hard to doctor up some sauce for...have to say it wasn't bad....but as I sat eating the thought of that propane, gas fired smoker and my younger days with the brinkman all kept running through my mind... and I just happen to mention, ....it would be great to have been able to smoke this up!!!  She agreed...so I started my searching online and found the site here and was amazed with all the information and needless to say, it happened! (LOL)  I took her acknowledgement as her approval to make a purchase (I think)!! LMAO

Oh well, we'll see Wednesday when they deliver the GOSM from Bass Pro Shop that I ordered last night!! (evil grin)  Something I've learned over the years is to trust that gut feeling....and my gut is telling me I'm in trouble, but, (butt's next weekend!) I figure if I can duplicate (or get close to) some back home style (KC) brisket and ribs I'll win her heart back and I'll just have to wait for another day to work on honing up some Carolina style Q skills! lol

Ok, honestly, I apologize for writing a book!  Hope to write much more another time on some greater experiences than I remember from the old days! lol  Looking forward to getting to know y'all and again, thanks for sharing all the information y'all share on here! And to Jeff, thank you for providing such a great web site, I look forward to trying your rub and sauce recipes!!

Dean

Welcome to SMF this is a great place for information and finding friends that have the same habit. Post some pictures when you get that new smoker in action. And many happy smokes.

Thanks for the introduction, and welcome to the SMF. You're in for some fun when that GOSM arrives. It's all good my friend.

Welcome to SMF dean.

You'll pe doin carolina q in no time. Just remember, It's allways easier to ask forgivness than to ask permission.

cool.gif

First off welcome Dean to SMF. You'll like it here cause there are alot of really good folks that would just love to help you with anything to do with smoking. Now we like having new folks here to give a new prospective on some of the ways we do things around here. Now if you are really new then I would suggest that you sign up fir the 5-day E-course it free and it will give you the basics on smoking and a few recipes too. Here's a link to it:

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/forum/list/127

then you will have a method to your newly found madness and believe me it will be a madness. Then when you start smoking things you will have to learn how to post the pictures / Qview 

here. So here's a link to a tutorial on how to post your Qview so we can see what your doing.

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/forum/thread/82034/how-to-post-qview-to-smf

Now the next thing you have to do is run out and get something to smoke. Then just smoke it and if you have any questions just post  them here and we will answer all your questions that you might have. Oh yea there's no stupid questions we were all there in the beginning and we just really like to help others enjoy the fabulous smoked foods that we do. So again

Welcome to Your New Addiction

Thanks for the welcome, everyone! 

Biaviian - Hope you received your GOSM today!  We'll definitely have to thrown down with some smoking this weekend!  I spent a couple hours tonight running around some stores searching out some seasonings.  

3011 - Thanks for the information!

Received it and put it together.  I did have one issue.  I only received one push nut for the thermometer.  So now I have to rig something.  Also a weld was off.  There is about a 1/16th inch gap on one side (on the back).  I'll just fill it in with some high-temp silicone.  I did have a few scratches in the paint (on the inside) so I touched it up with some BBQ-rated paint.  I'll season it in the morning and I hope to throw some ABTs on in the late afternoon. 

BC - thanks! I'll definitely get with the Qview once we get things somken!

Just checked the FEDEX tracker and they adjusted my delivery date to Thursday now!!!! rrrrgh! Oh well, I have a 3 day weekend coming up so it's all good! 

Dean, welcome and you will have no regrets, trust me.

And it brings you closer to your neighbors
icon_biggrin.gif

here some reading to keep you busy.

GOSM BLOG

Biaviian, mine had few dents and a busted thermometer, but their customer service is awesome.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky