I can't get my GOSM up past 200

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

workoutchamp

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Mar 31, 2008
Historic Perryville, KY
Hi guys,

I have been pouring through GOSM mods and everyone is having the opposite problem as I am.

I can't get my heat up (on my smoker). The burner is burning correctly, looking good, etc.

I have added shelves - 6 instead of the 3 you get - I just got extra racks and slid them in. I put hot water in my pan to start. I make sure there is less meat on each rack starting at the bottom and getting progressively tighter at the top - but never touching or real dense.

Any ideas with vent holes (closed, half way, etc) or anything you can see that I am doing wrong?

Best, Brad

Vents should be typically all the way open. Where do you live? Is it cold? Really should not have trouble with low temps with that unit. Flame looks good...? How high...blue?

On Edit: The sand will help too!

No joke.......sand and water help to stabilize the temps in vertical smokers. They act like a big heat sink and help offset any spikes and dips so you have even temps throughout your smoke...
PDT_Armataz_01_18.gif

On Edit: Water does the same thing, but most people can maintain higher temps with sand instead.

in addition, the evap'ing water helps maintain the temp not too much ABOVE 220. Every gram of water that goes to steam removes 540 Calories of heat from the system. Assuming it escapes anyway, which most does at temp.

Nope, dead serious....I use it all the time in Colorado when it's colder. Flash was the one who showed me the concept. It's a life saver in cold weather or when you need higher temps.

Look at this thread, there's a picture in there that is aply described as an oven mit, LOL. If you look below, you'll notice the water pan without anything in it. Actually, I put a layer of foil in the pan, then sand, and then cover it in foil so I can reuse it again.

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/for...ad.php?t=15550

The one question I have is, Are you using the temp gage on the smoker? If so, it is not very accurate. Invest in a digital. If you are using a digital, make sure all lower vents are open if you unit has them. And the sand will also help (from what I have read here).
Hope this helps.

Andy.

Just go to Home Depot or Lowes, etc. and get a bag of play-ground sand. About $5 for a bag.

Wow sand, makes sense, but I wouldn't have seen that one coming.

I have a remote digital and that is the coolest gift I ever got. love it.

Flame looks good - blue with a tiny yellow tip - just like its supposed to be, but I may fool around with the orifice and air, etc and see if I can't get it up a little hotter.

I thought it was that I put too much meat on it or something. I let the meat sit out for an hour ahead to warm up and I use hot water to start with.

I sure appreciate the help here guys - if you come up with any other ideas - they are greatly appreciated.

Brad

OK, I took the thing apart this morning - what a frikk@# mess!
PDT_Armataz_01_27.gif

The blue flame with tiny yellow tips is correct - that is optimum clean burn. There is no air control, so I have to increase the size of the orifice a TINY bit.

So I felt the orifice may be a little clogged. A big paper clip should be about the right size, so a tiny bit larger may work better. I took one of those "lettered" sized drill bits and made the orifice a micro bit bigger - too big.

Tons of yellow (carbon) which makes everything black.
icon_rolleyes.gif

So what does a red blooded man do? Sends his wife to WalMart in her pick up truck of course, "honey, go buy me another smoker - FAST" we are now 2 hrs behind.
PDT_Armataz_01_05.gif

They are only $99 bucks now - great. Mine was wonderful for 3, 4 maybe 5 yrs! Mine was made in Arkansas and was about 150. now they are from China - I'd rather pay the extra 50 bucks - big difference in quality and the old one is a little bigger.

I am not going to chuck this one, anyone know where I can buy parts?

Film - and brisket at 11
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Brad

Hey Brad, if you take the fitting down to your local propane dealer, he can insert a new plug and re-drill it to the correct size. My local dealer has done that for me several times when I was trying to fine tune my brinkman all in one. I finally got it to perform correctly and then gave it to my son. (I was not liking the smoker by that time) Also, you can buy a cheap set of numbered drills and enlarge the orifice yourself but its EASY to go too far!
eek.gif

on edit, where did the little icon below my picture come from? And what is it?

I have had this problems a few times. One is when I let one of my kids put the tank on for me. Seems they didn't get it on right so I shut everything down and reconnect. Fix the problem. Another time I had the problem I had shut the tank off to let the gas burn off. When I fired it up the next time from the tank it didn't work again. After turning off my Big Block everything worked fine again. I have reached temp that have blown my Nu-Temp therm to read just Hi! Sometimes its the simple things that toss us the biggest curves.

True you gotta prob with my gosm half between low and med with a 14 lb. turkey 250 all day. On high I've never left it long but 400 in a heartbeat with the damper closed!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky