I bought a new toy today and it's Dacdots fault!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

deejaydebi

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
Nov 18, 2006
Connecticut
bought a new toy today and it's Dacdots fault! When I went to visit David in West Virginia a few weeks ago he showed me his sausage toys ... I mentioned that when mixing the sausage meat my hands ache for a few day after from the ice cold meat. Well he showed me his meat mixer and well - there ya go! It's all his fault! I was gonna try to make one but I just haven't had time and with my Christams sausage making crunch underway I started searching.

http://search.harborfreight.com/cpis...ord=meat+mixer

Habor Frieght was cheapest and they all look about the same.

iv'e looked at them a few times and wonderd if they will mix in the spices good enough or are the just to mix meats together?
icon_lol.gif

Congrats Debi!...
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Just think...No more painful mixing!!...Faster too!...
PDT_Armataz_01_24.gif

Keep us posted...and...Pics Please!!...

Until later...

DJ, I have one that same size and use it sparingly. I can have the meat/seasonings mixed up before I can get that mixer out and sanitized. I do like it when I use it.

I was thinking of buying a kitchen aid mixer but for only 89 compared to $250 to $350 perhaps this is the way.

Any comments on the choice?????

Dude - you are soooooooo bad!

Bill and Scotty - my understanding is this thing will mix the spice and meat up real well with out painful hands. I have arthitis in my hands and the ice cold meat is a killer! I am also alergic to asprin which really stinks cuz tylinol doesn't do much of anything for it.

Scotty - I have tried my kitchen aid with the dough hooks and it doesn't do a good enough job mixing the spice before the fat gets squishy IMHO so I went back to mixing by hand. If you like making bread though the Kitchen aid is wonderful!

Goat - I'm hoping it will fit into a 5 gallon pail for sanitizing - if not I'll just use my sink. I have to pack and unpack all the other stuff too so one more box is no biggie!

Coley -I will definately take pictures when I use it the first time. I figure it'll be at least a week before it comes in (mail order). Doing smoked turkey rolls and Capricolla tomorrow. Got 3 turkeys and 4 butts defrosting as we speak!

Deb thats a great price.. Around here there not under 150.
I look at them every time I go in Gander Mnt.
post some pics when you break that puppy in.

Seaham -

We don't even have them around here but I buy stuff a few times a year from Harbor Freight - cheap tools mostly. Considering I'd pay sales tax here anyway shipping can be pretty close so I don't mind mailorder. Even things I can get here I can buy online a whole lot cheaper!

That looks handy Debi! I like the price too......hmmmm, might have to get one myself. lol

Thanks for the link!
biggrin.gif

DeeJay, Great price..wow. The sausage stuffer site is alot more $$$$. Always wanted one cause I make alot of sausage. Now I can take the savings & put towards a vertical stuffer. Seems stuffing sausage always seems to be a 4 hand operation w/ my meat grinder. Hey DeeJay,any hints on the vertical stuffer??? Thanks

Thanks for the tip Ken! I can't wait for it to come in. I did 30 pounds of salami tonight and thought my hands would freeze off!

I'll add my recent experience to this discussion.

This past weekend I bought a Cabela's 44# mixer - was on sale a the local store, price was $249. Nice part is it mates with my grinder motor.

My main concern was whether or not it would work with smaller batches - in the 10# range. User reviews on Cabela's site and other sites was mixed. But, I'm happy to report that it worked great. I did the initial grind with a two hole kidney plate, so the pieces were quite coarse - placed the entire 25# batch in the mixer and mixed for about 7 minutes to incorporate the fat/lean uniformly. The paddles moved the meat around nicely, folding it consistantly between the rotating and fixed paddles.

I split the batch in half to make two differently flavored 12# batches. I mixed the spice mix and non-fat powdered milk with about 1 1/2 cups of water and drizzled it through the slot in the cover with the paddles in motion. I ran the mixer about 5 minutes, was somewhat skeptical about any mixing taking place, but when I stopped the machine and examined the mass, I found the spice mix was well distributed throughout the meat. While mixing, it looked like the meat was just being moved left and right between the paddles without any turning over/folding, etc. But, it indeed did mix the spices nicely. And quickly - the meat was still about as cold as it was when it went into the mixer.

All in all, I'm very pleased with this machine, guess I should post this same account on Cabela's user review. If I had to guess, those folks that reported poor mixing likely didn't mix the spices with water, or, they were using a smaller volume of meat than 10-12#.

Oh, and clean up is easy - the paddle pops out easily, lay the tub on it's side draining into the sink, and use the spray head to flush out the residue, wipe with a hot soapy sponge, rinse again and call it good.

Ken

Used the meat mixer tonight and boy it's nice! No more cold achey hands! Woo Hoo!

I don't know how it does it but it does a great job. Doesn't look like i'd do much but it works. I got the smaller 4.2 gallon mixer from Harbor frieght. Looks identical to others I've seem for twice the price. Cheapest one I found on the net!

Good investment - mixing is the only part I don't like about sausage making - now it's a breeze! http://search.harborfreight.com/cpis...ord=meat+mixer

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky