I am in the market for a new Grill. Need Advice.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

pne123

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jul 3, 2007
I put this here cuz there was not a propane grill equipment section......

I do not use my grill as much now that I am smoking but I still need one. I have an old charbroil that is about dead. I do not need a big one. Smaller the better but w/ enought btu's to sear a steak. Any suggestions?

The same thing you've already heard......Weber!
icon_mrgreen.gif

I just got one of these...

The Weber Performer. It is a charcoal grill with a propane lighting system (lantern style bottle)... and it is great! Set me back about $300, but this thing is solid and built to last. 22" grill area, a large prep surface and a 20# charcoal storage bin. I've cooked on it several times now and enjoy it much more than my old gasser.

ac212713-b990-47b9-8ab3-481c4239e791_4.jpg

Here is a similar model for half the price - Weber One Touch Gold. Both utilize the "one-touch" cleaning system, which makes cleaning the grill a snap.
46ecdc79-f0f0-4227-9e6e-9b466dd70571_4.jpg

I have never used a Weber but I have only heard good things. I have learned that I do like cast iron grids an a grill, it seems to be a lot more even heat.

Here is what I would look for......If you already smoke with wood or charcoal than you probably want a gas grill for the speed and convenience of not having to wait to cook, so.......I am narrowing your options some.

Get atleast 3 burners so that you can have 3 zones, preferably left to right so that you can turn the middle one off if you are doing a roast with a drip pan. When grilling, you will be able to easily set up 3 zones at high, medium, and low for moving your food around as needed. Might as well get a good side burner too:-)

If you go for a stainless steel grill, try to get one that has a double wall hood. Also, the hood should be all welded rather than screwed together.

Make sure the grill grates are either cast iron or solid (not hollow) stainless steel rod, something atleast 1/4 inch round.

Try to get thick cast burners that will last and be able to stay intact because of the high heat.

The drip bars above the burners also help spread the heat evenly, so check out the thickness and design of these bars. In the old days, they used lava rocks for this. I like the racks with ceramic tiles which seem to spread out the heat some, but they do crack over time.

Look over the burner area to see if it will be easy to take apart in the future for cleaning, etc. Look for a removable grease pan or drain area.

I am sure I forgot something, but Good Luck:-)

Steve

Shop around? You might be right Bubba, well, atleast he can pick which of those options is important to him:-)

Could always go to a restaurant parts dealer, get commercial charbroil grates that will fit your old grill and retrofit some cast burners with some baffles in between to vaporize the grease drops.

When you look at restaurant charbroilers at these dealers, its amazing how simple they are constructed and how easy it would be to copy that in your own grill. It's pretty much btus and thick cast iron!

Where there is a will------there is a way:-)

Honestly, keep any grate oiled up well and it won't stick!

hehe ain't that true-I have a sears kenmore precision flame(old 1) double tube burrner with side burner-got it used for next to nothing,can use 1 or both burners,and always the side burner for side dishes-I see them at HD-Lowes wally-heck so many out there that bought them that don't
bbq-look in the paper or swap meets-dime a dozen here.

Maybe i will just get a weber kettle. I really like the performer w/ the propane starter but I guess i could use the weed burner as easy....

I used to have a DuKane gas burner I loved. It was expensive but would do everything I needed and had a nice rotisserie that would hold a turkey. Can't say enough good things about it, but it was $1,300.00 new. I'd opt for one of those SS jobs at Sam's or Costco now. Some of them look pretty sweet.
Jimbo

Now that i think about it.....
There is a ton of replacement parts for that brand at HD, why not just fix it??
Burners, igniter, grill's, paint and your new again!!

It was kinda crappy to when new. It had some very hot spots. it has cast burners but the back 1/2 was almost twice as hot as the front when new. it is even worse now.

i am making a uds maybe i will make another basket that raises the coals to grill w/ but the wife will never do it and it is a pain in the but.

anyone know about weber spirit e210? there is one on CL for 265. they are 300 new and this one is still in the box. offered them $200

Actually I have two webers .. one touch gold, which was previously discussed, and the E210 spirit. This is a smaller two burner unit from weber that works on the same convection principals as all their larger grills. I purchased mine because I only have 4 mouths to feed, thinking it wouldnt be a such a large cooking surface. Dont be fooled ... I can cook steaks all over this fella with no problems - no hot or cold spots.
Well built just like all other weber products for a precentage of the price. It makes a wicked herb crusted prime rib ... Just rub, drop on the grill and walk away for a couple of hours. No need for routisseruies (sp) because there are no flare ups if you maintain it correctly.

Enjoy .. I love mine .. D-mo

I got one from Lowes a few years ago, called BBQ Grillware. I got it for about $150 on clearance and love it. It has 3 stainless steal tube burners and it came with a 10 year warranty on the burners, that is what really sold me on it. I've had it for 2 years and have had no problems with it.

Weber, Weber, Weber.....I have 5 total from the smokey Joe, 18" kettle, 22" kettle, Weber-Q & Silver C 3 burner propane. The Silver C is about 5 years old, It has been used at least 3 times a week it's whole life. All I have had to do is replace the ignitor. The Weber-Q is a really cool portable propane grill that runs off the small propane bottles, or get an adaptor for the larger tanks. It has a fold-up stand with wheels. I have only used it about 5 times, but my friends borrower it all the time for camping, parties, picnics, baseball tournaments, etc. They love it & I think for the money & versatility, it can't be beat. I have learned buying the $125 -$200 "disposable" grills is not for me. Weber builds quality products which last & the parts are readily available, should you need them. Oh by the way, my 22" kettle was my grandfathers & is probably 25+ years old.
b1f6b23e_vbattach17194.jpg

If money is playing a big factor.....then get the Weber.

I am not a Weber supporter. I will say that Weber is alot better quality than most of the other mass marketed grills you will see.

If you change your mind and want a real top quality grill let me know. I will hook you up with some good names to check out.

I bought a weber gasser. Found one on CL for $240. They were asking $275. Came w/ a cover, tank, and some tools. It is a 2004 genesis gold C. It looks like it has been used less than 5x or the meth tweekers I bought it from took it a part and cleaned every party for hours. Either way, I am good w/ it since it is all sst.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky