I ain't afraid of no ROAST!

Discussion in 'Pork' started by twistertail, Oct 30, 2007.

1. twistertail

twistertail Smoking Fanatic

Sorry about the Ghostbusters song reference but thats the first thing that came to my mind when I saw the size of this thing. Heres how it all went down. My wife calls me at work last Wednesday from the grocery store and says "is pork shoulder roast what you usually do in the smoker" I say "yes, sometimes its called boston butt also". She tells me its on sale for 99 cents a pound so she gets one. So Friday night I take it out of the fridge to rub and get ready for the smoker I see a piece of meat that is almost 9 pounds! I have never done anything that big and it makes me a little nervous, but I said to myself "self, dont worry you've got SMFK". So I trimmed a little of the fat off and rubbed it down and put it in the smoker about 10:00 Friday night and about 10:30 Saturday morning it hit 205. I used hickory chunks and sprayed with AJ and wrapped when it got to about 155. It was the best one I have done so far! Before I found this site I only smoked pork chops or chicken breast, anything bigger scared me. Thanks for all the help guys. In case you didnt figgure it out, SMFK is Smoking Meat Forum Knowledge.

2. hawgheaven

hawgheaven Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Does this place rock or what?! As I said in a different thread, I have never had so much fun and learned so much since I joined this group... AWESOME GROUP! [​IMG][​IMG]

3. richtee

richtee Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Got one of them there monsters in the fridge now. 11 Lbs! Bone in big azzed butt! Am contemplating a "ham pull" but it's murder waiting for the cure...heh.