• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

I added a basket, love it.

matts

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Apr 13, 2010
I have been working on some mods on my rig the last week or so.  One of the things I was doing is building a coal basket.  I got all the mods to the firebox done today so I decided to throw in a 20# bag of Kingsford and see what happens.  This basket is big enough to to hold two of those bags, but I just put in 1 this time.  I threw it in there and fired the burner up to get the coals going.  After the initial burn out and the coals settled down, its been keeping a great temp for hours now.  I have had the vents all closed up and actually have been having to adjust the temp with the exhaust dampers.  I had it steady around 230 and went to attend my smoke of the day.  Forgot about it and ran back out after a hour plus and was very pleased to find the temp at 225.  This is a lot easier then straight wood, at least on this rig it is.  Just throw a small log or two on the coals every couple hours and the TBS is going great.  I wish I had some meat on there. 

Like my new vent. LOL

kcbluesnbbq

Meat Mopper
Joined Aug 7, 2010
Did you rob the vent out of the house? Ha Ha!

Looks like a good idea. How easy is it to adjust? I know the ones in every house I have owned seem to get really hard to move after a year or two. Might be because we hardly ever move them.

Let us know how it works out.

ballagh

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Dec 23, 2006
That is a great idea.  Running all wood is a little tricky to manage at times.  I am still getting the hang of it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.