I’m over thinking this

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Swamp_moss

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 24, 2017
Hello guys and gals. Been smoking on my Akron for quite some time now, but I wanted to work hard to smoke two butts right at 225 this time. Never been able to hold that temp before.

My probe is unshielded from the indirect stone above the coals and I was actually able to get my temps settled at 199 all night last night (I fell asleep and didn’t make it out to bump it up some). Only thing is, my dome thermo says it’s only 150 in the pit.

Should I be monitoring temps with probe shielded by the smoking stone?? I was thinking I was practicing the KISS method and that if air coming up from the fire was 200°, I was cooking at 200° and my done would reflect that after a few hours but I’m beginning to worry it just never got hot enough in there to for the 4-140 rule. Should I be concerned about the safety of this food if it’s actually only 150 in the pit?

There are two butts in it and there’s a lot of steam coming out now as well so I figure that is probably cooling the dome down some as well

Appreciate any advice. Tell me I’m really over thinking this and to relax 🤦‍♂️

I would say your good to go, the meat is a big heat sink so keep plugging along and you will be fine

Reactions: Swamp_moss
Not familiar with the Akorn or how it works so I can't tell you how to monitor your chamber temps. What is the internal temp of the meat? And why are you determined to cook butts at 225? Some cookers run fine at certain temps and struggle holding others. Sounds like yours struggles holding 225. Why fight it? Find where your particular cooker likes to run and go with that. Dome thermo's are notoriously inaccurate. A long time ago I bought a mechanical oven therm and would put it in my chamber along side whatever I was cooking. When the oven therm read 250 the door therm read about 210. So now I knew when my door therm read 210 I was at 250 in the chamber or close enough anyhow. Don't even use the oven therm any more.

Yes you are over thinking things. There's no reason to fret over every single degree in temp change in a cooking chamber or internal temp of meat.

Not familiar with the Akorn or how it works so I can't tell you how to monitor your chamber temps. What is the internal temp of the meat? And why are you determined to cook butts at 225? Some cookers run fine at certain temps and struggle holding others. Sounds like yours struggles holding 225. Why fight it? Find where your particular cooker likes to run and go with that. Dome thermo's are notoriously inaccurate. A long time ago I bought a mechanical oven therm and would put it in my chamber along side whatever I was cooking. When the oven therm read 250 the door therm read about 210. So now I knew when my door therm read 210 I was at 250 in the chamber or close enough anyhow. Don't even use the oven therm any more.

Yes you are over thinking things. There's no reason to fret over every single degree in temp change in a cooking chamber or internal temp of meat.
I normally run it hot and fast, just wanted to do something different this time. I’m not really worried about the change in temp as much as I am making sure it’s been hot enough inside to keep everything safe.

Appreciate it fellas. I’m gonna take another nap now 😂

I’ll have some Q-view later. I did go bump it up a few degrees because that big cold front is pushing through. She’s riding at 225 like a dream….first time I’ve ever felt comfortable leaving it or sleeping while it’s going

I had a Char-Griller Akorn for a while. Loved that grill once I got it sealed up. It was my entry into cooking on a Kamado.
You are in good hands with the comments above, Swamp. Really looking forward to the Q-view. It will bring back fond memories.

Been cooking with mine for probably 4 years but I always wonder about temps and such. Had the butts up to 155 and now back down to 144. Reckon I’m in a bad stall. Wrapped in butcher paper and raising heat to 265ish. Need to push on through this thing

Reactions: Colin1230
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky