Hy-Vee Chuck Roast sale

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ismoke

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Sep 21, 2008
Independence, MO
Saw in the Hy-Vee ad yesterday that they have Chuckies on sale for $2.49/lb.  I'm thinking about giving a chuckie a shot.  Heard too much great about them not to!  Is this a good deal?  I'm new (well, just moved back to) the KC area, and I'm not real familiar with the prices here.  Thanks!

P.S. I'm stopping on the way home to get one anyways, just curious if this was a "stock up the freezer" type sale, or one that will be around fairly often.

icon_cool.gif

It is times like that is when you need a food saver system and another freezer or 2. Heck that should be a next purchase as you first get the smoke then the food saver and then another freezer in that order. There are folks out there like me that took it to extremes and have a freezer farm that's: one for beef and then one for pork and then one for chicken and seafood.

Hi everyone,

I smoked my first chuck roast yesterday and it turned out not so tender and dry. I wonder what I could do to improve my results. Here's what i did ... I marinated a 2.75 lb boneless chuck roast for 16 hrs in the fridge in a wine and spice mix recipe that included olive oil, red wine, paprika, garlic, brown sugar, ground black pepper, chili powder dijon mustard. Marinated in a sealed zip bag and turned the meat a number of times . Th meat was fully immersed in the marinade. I the removed from marinade and put Jeff's rub on the roast and cooked in a preheated 225 degree smoker {MES} til the temp reached 190 degrees [about 3.75 hrs]. Then double foiled poured on the a jus and put in a picnic chest covered with towels and rested  for 1.5 hrs. When removed for slicing the meat was still hot.

I sliced it very thinly and it was not juicy nor was it really tender, actually rather chewy.

What can I do to improve my results? what did I do wrong?

Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated. I certainly do want to always improve on my results.

Thanks, Jack

icon_cool.gif

It is times like that is when you need a food saver system and another freezer or 2. Heck that should be a next purchase as you first get the smoke then the food saver and then another freezer in that order. There are folks out there like me that took it to extremes and have a freezer farm that's: one for beef and then one for pork and then one for chicken and seafood.
I'm going to assume that yes, this is a great deal then!  I actually got the food saver first (it was a wedding gift, but we never really used it), then the smoker, then I realized I needed the freezer.  But yes, I see what you mean.  Freezer farm, huh?  I like that idea!  Maybe the 3 for those items, plus one for "reserved" cooked meat (I like to freeze some of what I cook to use later in chili, beans, etc.).

I'm going to assume that yes, this is a great deal then!  I actually got the food saver first (it was a wedding gift, but we never really used it), then the smoker, then I realized I needed the freezer.  But yes, I see what you mean.  Freezer farm, huh?  I like that idea!  Maybe the 3 for those items, plus one for "reserved" cooked meat (I like to freeze some of what I cook to use later in chili, beans, etc.).

That is a good deal, almost great. I just froze 4 beauties I got for $1.99/lb at my regular grocery store. I think that was the cheapest I got them yet, so you're $2.49 aint bad either.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky