Howdy from Tucson

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

beardz

Original poster
Oct 5, 2016
Just added a new MES 30 to the lineup. I've been using an Akorn for about 3 years and have really enjoyed some pulled pork. I just got back into sausage making, and the MES along with the cold smoker will hopefully allow me to smoke it. I also want to try my hand at chipotle, and smoked cheeses, salts. Doing 2 spatchcocks today...time will tell.

Mike

Welcome. I also went from an akorn for about 3 years to an MES 30. Have been using it since about February. I went camping last weekend and took the akorn and smoked a 7lb butt, and have now covered up my MES. The mes made good food, but it just wasn't as good as the akorn with charcoal and wood chunks.

It is nice to set it and forget it though. I'll probably still use it when I make bbq to take to cookouts.

Enjoy!

Mike welcome to SMF.

Sounds like a good crew of smokers. What kind of cold smoker are you using?

Temps should start dropping there for you to do some good cold smoking.

Thanks for the welcomes...I order the MES attachement, and plan to use dryer hose or stove pipe to move it away from the smoker. My plan is to cold smoke cheese and homemade sausages. I did 2 spatchcock chickens on it injected with apple juice, chipotle, and garlic salt...came out good but the skin was rubber. I did not mind as I don't eat the skin. Looking forward to reading and learning more....

mike

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky