how to smoke a venison ham... (roast)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

oonighttrain

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Sep 6, 2007
i have a hunk of venison that i believe is a roast.. maybe a ham?? not sure..

i have it soaking in butter milk right now..

its probably 7 pounds or so..

what temp should i use, how long? what temp should i get it to?

Did a fresh deer roast yesterday, I rubbed it and wrapped with bacon. It turned out great, very moist. Cooked to 160.

Sister-In-Law down in Houston has an old wooden spoon with a pointed handle. She pokes a bunch of holes in a venison roast then inserts strips of jalapeno pepper (you can use a thin blade knife). Wraps the roast with bacon and into the oven.
Makes a really good roast. You get a bit of pepper here and there in the slices and the bacon kept it from totally drying out. Gotta watch venison, no fat.
Made some good sammies.
Pretty sure this would work in a smoker and add some super flavor. I don't have any roasts or I would try it.
MO is in muzzleloader season now, I might stoke up the smokepole and go see if I can get another one if the weather holds.
wink.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky