How to presmoke a turkey?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

justfish

Original poster
Nov 22, 2006
I had plans on smoking a 12.5 lber on Christmas Eve morning, but the plans seemed to have changed, and I'm wondering if I could just smoke it today?
Good news is the smoker is kicking right now w/ 2 butts in it and about to make a few fatties to join them. Bad news is turkey is still a little frozen but in water and thawing nicely, should be thawed by lunch.
I need to know if I can smoke it now and how to reheat it whole where it's presentable at table, and is there an injectable "brine" or marinade that works for smoking since I wont have time to brine?
Thanks in advance!

Sure, why not. You can just reheat in the microwave or oven. I always have some leftovers and vacuum seal it. We just broke some out the other day for some sammies and a noodle dish my wife makes. still had a nice flavor to it.

Turkey is just a big chicken
icon_smile.gif

Smoke it and reheat. Shouldn't be a problem at all. Just make sure you put a little moisture in the pan when you reheat (if you reheat in the microwave, a little tip is to cover the bird with a damp towel).

If you aren't using a cure, just be sure you are really BBQing it at higher temps so as to not linger in the danger zone too long. I advise the folks that get my cured smoked turkey to reheat in a 350 deg. oven for app. 15 min per lb. til internal temp of around 150 deg.

Sure you can and then just re-heat on the day of. Thats the one thing about smoking meat you can always re-heat and you'll always still have that great smoked flavor. Just remember the smoked hams and turkey are aready cooked and you just re-heat them too.
PDT_Armataz_01_05.gif

OK it's in and I'll finish it tonight.
I'll probrably do it in the oven, but if I wanted to do the microwave, any idea on how long?

Just long enough to take the chill off of it.

If you slice it, it won't take but a minute or two. Big chunks take longer.

Relax, you'll be just fine and it'll turn out great.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky