How to? 2" Thick Pork Chops?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

camping hoosiers

Fire Starter
Original poster
Aug 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
There is a place we go on occasion over in western Kentucky called Patti's 1800's Settlement. The specialty of the house is their 2" pork chop. It is wonderful. Perfectly done moist and tender throughout. Its not smoked though.

I'm trying to figure out how to cook something like this. I was thinking of tossing it on a how grill for a few minutes to sear it, then move it over to the smoker and smoke it at a lower temp. This should retain the moisture and make it tender I hope.

I would think if you tried to do this on a grill that you would risk drying it out and making it tough by the time it was done.

Any thoughts on how to do this?

See ya, jeff

No doubt brined.... look up brines here...lots of info!
General recipe:
1C KOSHER salt/gallon of water
with pork... add sage, celery seed. perhaps mustard powder, onion powder. Garlic too if ya love it like me. Savory, rosemary, cumin...all options too
1/4 cup brown sugar for you sweet folks..but that amount won't really be "sweet". A half will do that.

On edit.. always rinse brined meats in cold water before cooking!

I've been grilling pork chops all my life. I usually do butterfly's because they are thicker.

I cook them like a steak (but longer of course) and they are always juicy and tender throughout! no special technique

Rictee's right if brine them you will get the outcome, but they will get hammy the longer you brine it.
I've brined them for breakfast ham!

I agree with the brine too. For chops that thick, I like to leave them in the brine for at least 6 hours and as long as overnight.

I start with 8 cups of water
1/4/cup of kosher salt
1/2 cup of sugar (white or brown)
Then add my favorites....garlic, onion, crushed red peppers, bay leaves..what ever you like.

Good luck with them....what ever you decide to do.
smile.gif

I just season mine and cook them slow on a grill. If I soak them in anything, it is just Dr. Pepper.

When ever I grill chops that thick I'll brine them about 12 hours, rise them off good. Add a little of Jeff's rub. Throw them on the grill over a high flame for 2 minutes, turn them 1/4 turn for another 2 minutes. Flip them over and do it again (that gives them that cool grill marks). Then lower the heat to med, and cook them for around 7 minutes on each side or untill you get a temp of around 150. Let them rest a few minutes and then munch out.

I just read an article in Cooks Illustrated about cooking pork chops. The gist of the article was that when they seared the chops over high heat to brown them they lost a lot of moisture. The most moist chops where started in a cold frying pan and cooked over medium heat for a few minutes each side then covered and cooked over low heat till done. The biggest drawback was color. They also found that cooking to an internal temp higher than 140 degrees resuted in tough dry chops. It seems kinda low but that is what the article says. Hope this info is useful.
Brian

I have done a ton of thick pork. Big thick Chops and sometimes thick slices off very lean, boneless loins. Stuff like that.

My approach will differ from what you have heard here. Not that it is right or wrong, better or worse. (Sounds like a vow of some sort, doesn't it?)
PDT_Armataz_01_23.gif

I get teased a lot about my encouraging 'Cold Smoking'. There are only a few of us who really support the method. Salmonclubber is another that comes to mind. But it really is the solution to a lot of these problems. I grew up with it, so guess it is just a habit now!

What I do is either "Cold Smoke" at 80-90F. Running some good smoke against the meat, without going over 100F. OR, if "Hot Smoking", I stay as low as I possibly can go, and still generate smoke.

Either way, when I am done, I have a still raw piece of meat. It has simply been deliciously flavored with my 'smoke of the day'. I really like fruit woods for Pork.

Then, I proceed to actually cook the meat, however the mood strikes. On any given day, this may be Grilling on BBQ, back into the Smoker, Broiling in the oven, or even, God Forbid, pan frying. It really doesn't matter. It is now a deliciously smoked piece of meat and will turn out wonderful.

My actual choice is a quick Grilling on the BBQ. For me, it seems to sear the surface and seal in the juices and my family treats me like a King. (I noticed that BlacknBlueDog made a post mentioning that searing can cause dryness. I agree with that, if it is too hot and too long. I just zap the outside, then turn it down and cook, staying low and slow, like he says. In today's world, it is almost impossible to get Tric, so the old rule of cooking Pork to well done, no longer needs to be followed. I sear, then cook to a medium doneness. Outside looks great, although inside may still have a slight tinge of pinkish. But, not to worry.)

I may get a lot of disagreements here, but this sure does work for me.

Huey, jump in here and give your thoughts!!

Skip

I like to butterfly, tuck in a slice of proscuttio and provolone cheese, stuff it mushroom/onion/cornbread stuffing, sometimes add a bit of finely minced red peppers, then spritz the outside with EVOO, sprinkle the outside with garlic and onion powder and a very light coating of powdered ritz crackers and smoke or bake at 350 degrees for about 10 minutes, flip and spritz again with EVOO and cook for about another about another10 minutes.

Never served a dry chop yet!

I just did a "MapQuest" for your address. I am on the way!!
PDT_Armataz_01_01.gif

I'll use the secret knock, so you will know it is me!!
PDT_Armataz_01_11.gif

Skip

They should be cooking some thick ones at the NAILE Stock Show in Louisville,KY right now. I eat them every time I go and they are, as Tony the Tiger would say, GRRRREAT.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky