How soon to rub?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

low'n'slow

Fire Starter
Original poster
Apr 10, 2007
Great White North
I hope to season and break in my new Masterbuilt Electric Smoker with a pair of baby backs this weekend, using the 3-2-1 method. How soon do you apply the rub? Overnight? Or just a few minutes before you smoke 'em? Or somewhere in between? It's a matter of personal preference, I guess, but I thought I'd see what the consensus is.

I rub the night before the smoke. Some rub right before putting the meat in the smoker. There are others who do both, rub the night before and add a little more right before putting it in the smoker. As you said, a lot is personal preference. I think most rub the night before. Just my $.02.

Hope this helps.

Take care, have fun, and do good!

Regards,

Meowey

as you have seen, either way. Personally I usually always apply a rub to anything 24 hours before it hits the smoker.....
icon_smile.gif

I pull the membrane then soak in apple juice a couple hrs rub with mustard then my regular rub and right to the smoker. Just personal preference.

Guess I'm in the middle - I pull the membrane, I spray them with apple juice and apply my rub right before I smoke them.

I've done it both ways rubbed over night and right before I smoke I don'tsee a difference. If I marinate I see a BIG difference but not just a rub. IMHO.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky