How soon to rub?

Discussion in 'Pork' started by low'n'slow, Apr 14, 2007.

1. I hope to season and break in my new Masterbuilt Electric Smoker with a pair of baby backs this weekend, using the 3-2-1 method. How soon do you apply the rub? Overnight? Or just a few minutes before you smoke 'em? Or somewhere in between? It's a matter of personal preference, I guess, but I thought I'd see what the consensus is.

2. meowey

meowey Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

I rub the night before the smoke. Some rub right before putting the meat in the smoker. There are others who do both, rub the night before and add a little more right before putting it in the smoker. As you said, a lot is personal preference. I think most rub the night before. Just my $.02.

Hope this helps.

Take care, have fun, and do good!

Regards,

Meowey

3. teacup13

teacup13 Master of the Pit OTBS Member

i do it overnight but will also do it right before they go in the smoker..its all personal preference

4. smoked

smoked Master of the Pit OTBS Member

as you have seen, either way. Personally I usually always apply a rub to anything 24 hours before it hits the smoker..... [​IMG]

5. msmith

msmith Master of the Pit OTBS Member

I pull the membrane then soak in apple juice a couple hrs rub with mustard then my regular rub and right to the smoker. Just personal preference.

6. Just before we load em in the smoker same, great taste. More refer space for the next smoke![​IMG]

7. deejaydebi

deejaydebi Smoking Guru

Guess I'm in the middle - I pull the membrane, I spray them with apple juice and apply my rub right before I smoke them.

I've done it both ways rubbed over night and right before I smoke I don'tsee a difference. If I marinate I see a BIG difference but not just a rub. IMHO.