How much turkey have you smoked in a Masterbuilt Extra Wide?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokinnn

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 6, 2007
I've been using my Masterbuilt Extra Wide for about 6 months now and just love it.  I did salvage the larger water pan from my old Masterbuilt 7in1 smoker and that helps control the temp a little better.

My question is this.  I want to smoke two turkeys for Thanksgiving.  I was wondering what are the largest Turkey's that will fit into this big smoker?  I like to cut the turkeys in half so they smoke more evenly and a little quicker.  There are 4 shelves so that should not be a problem.  We need about 30 pounds worth of turkey this year.  Has anyone smoked two turkeys of 15 pounds or bigger in this smoker before?

Thanks!!

Kevin

I would not be afraid at all to put 2 turkeys in that puppy... I have had 4 12lb'ers in my MES40 (see my profile pic)...and your smoker has 30% more shelf space and 3 times the heat output! You can halve them up or leave them whole, just stick with 12lb birds or less to help get thru the danger zone. I had to modify my shelf spacing with s-hooks so they all fit.

Happy Smokin' !!!

Barry.

If I cut two 16 pound turkeys in half and put the halves on 4 separate shelves, that is like smoking four 8 pound turkey's right?

Last edited:
I took mine to temperature then a short blast in the oven at 350 to crisp the skin (10-15min), but you can do it in the smoker too. If you only go 3-4hrs then to 325 you might get a little overshoot because it is gaining temp quicker,  so you may need to watch it closer.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky