How much smoke?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

russki1313

Original poster
Nov 14, 2009
When i am smoking how much smoke should i be seeing?
What color should it be?
Does anyone have a good picture of a smoke during its peak/half way point?
Thanks for your help guys,
Kevin

Not knowing your cooker I can only speak of mine.

I cook with wood so there is always smoke coming from the stack. I like to see it very thin and bluish in nature.

Here's a pic of the stack from my Horizon.

I use a GOSM and I strive for TBS.

This alittle heavy smoke but alot of it from the regular grills that are going too.

You can see the thin blue out of the smokers on the right
side of the porch.

Gas er electric, thin an blue, sometimes if ya add some new chips er chunks in yer gonna get a heavy puff, but should die right down.

Charcoal, yer gonna have a bit thicker smoke, but still should be light blue.

Wood, yer gonna have some heavier smoke from the nature a the beast.

Ya never wan't heavy whitish smoke, ya know like the old steam engines. The is makin creosote an will make yer food taste terrible an give ya that burnin sensation in yer mouth.
PDT_Armataz_01_05.gif

Hope that helps some.

Keep the smoke thin and blue. If it is white, yellow, or belching, you can bet something isn't right. Here are a few pics from my smokers turning out some thin blue, and some great 'Que.

One of the biggest mistakes a new smoker makes is to over smoke the meat. It doesn't take a lot of smoke, and to much will make the meat bitter or potentially leave a layer of creosote on the meat...YUCK! That is why we always say keep the smoke thin and blue. Even if you can't see the smoke, if you can smell it, your food can too, and good things are happening. Send us some pics of your rig and the smoke trail it leaves...I'm sure you will get a lot of input from the group.

Good luck.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky