How much high heat cheese for sausage?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

uncle eddie

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
May 14, 2016
Central Missouri
Sausage Making Noob Question: I am curious what dosage rate you sausage making veterans use for high heat cheddar cheese? I am planning on jalapeno cheddar sticks and chubs if that makes any difference.

I got some good advice about jalapeno dosage rate in this thread last week! Thanks!
I put ^^^this^^^ in here so I have all tips in one place.

Reactions: zwiller
I prefer 5% to 8%. Any more is too cheesy to me. If you like cheese then go with 10%. I get mine from butcher and packer

Boykjo

Reactions: uncle eddie
Thanks guys! I think I will start with 5% - see what it looks like - and adjust upwards from there if more is warranted.

see what it looks like
I go by looks .
Is this a store bought mix , or going from scratch ?
I always add sodium erythorbate in chubs that have high temp cheese . Keeps it from oxidizing around cheese . Some of the pre mixes already have it in them .
Not saying it will happen , but it can .

Reactions: SmokinEdge
chopsaw chopsaw - It is a summer sausage mix from TSM (Jalapeno Herb) that I add a little Mrs. Dash Southwestern Chipotle (1 tablespoon per 5 pounds meat). I follow the TSM recipe precisely - which IMHO was a touch weak on flavor - which is why I add the Mrs. Dash. I run the Mrs. Dash through a spice mill to make it into a powder.

I will definitely check out sodium erythorbate.

So far, even my mistakes have been delicious to someone.

Reactions: chopsaw
I am not an expert but in my opinion the high temp cheese does little more than add color to the finished product. Plus the cost factor of the HTC . Myself , I like to buy a good quality cheese and add slices of it on the plate next to my sliced sausage . This way is more affordable and it tastes way better than the HTC. It could be that my taste buds are worn out but that's my 2 cents

Reactions: zwiller
chopsaw chopsaw - It is a summer sausage mix from TSM (Jalapeno Herb) that I add a little Mrs. Dash Southwestern Chipotle (1 tablespoon per 5 pounds meat). I follow the TSM recipe precisely - which IMHO was a touch weak on flavor - which is why I add the Mrs. Dash. I run the Mrs. Dash through a spice mill to make it into a powder.

I will definitely check out sodium erythorbate.

So far, even my mistakes have been delicious to someone.
You're good bud . They may not list it on the package , but I'm going to say it's in there .

I'm a visual guy too. I don't have a photo of any sausage meat, but here is a slice of meatloaf, and I use about the same amount of hi-temp cheese in them as I do in sausage.
YH4xSCi.jpg

For cheese.. I use a good store bought (Habanero) cut into 1/4" cubes (1 lb per 10lbs of meat).. as for Jalapenos .. I use 8 med-large (seeds and all) per 10 lbs of meat... I run it through my slap chopper to chop them up... This makes for a not to spicy finished product...

I am not an expert but in my opinion the high temp cheese does little more than add color to the finished product. Plus the cost factor of the HTC . Myself , I like to buy a good quality cheese and add slices of it on the plate next to my sliced sausage . This way is more affordable and it tastes way better than the HTC. It could be that my taste buds are worn out but that's my 2 cents
Color for sure, and HTC gives a soft texture. Do you think the flavor dissipates while cooking or smoking, or was the HTC you tried not very flavorful right out of the bag?

The flavors I generally buy are pepper jack, cheddar, and blue cheese. I think the blue is the most robust, in fact we make a meatball dish which is smothered in a variation of the cream of mushroom soup gravy. The blue cheese flavor actually enhances the gravy itself. As far as heat.... once Butcher Packer sent 'Lava Jack' instead of pepper jack, and it was noticeably spicier.

Color for sure, and HTC gives a soft texture. Do you think the flavor dissipates while cooking or smoking, or was the HTC you tried not very flavorful right out of the bag?

The flavors I generally buy are pepper jack, cheddar, and blue cheese. I think the blue is the most robust, in fact we make a meatball dish which is smothered in a variation of the cream of mushroom soup gravy. The blue cheese flavor actually enhances the gravy itself. As far as heat.... once Butcher Packer sent 'Lava Jack' instead of pepper jack, and it was noticeably spicier.
I have tried HTC from several sources and I didn't see much if any difference .Not sure if it loses flavor. It gives the sausage a good appearance but I prefer to slice some good quality cheese and place it on the plate with the sausage slices. Some people might even prefer no cheese so they have the option to add some to a plate if desired. And it is a hell of a lot cheaper this way and less work

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky