How much cruelty is a pork chop worth?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
There was a tv show comedy a few years back (can't remember the title) where some company scientists were trying to grow a beef roast in-vitro. They cooked it up and tried it; when asked how it tasted, they answered, "Like despair."

• Haha
Reactions: uncle eddie
Like the Supreme Court doesn't have more important things to do.
Maybe the columnist should check out Plato's Cave Allegory. If the pig has never known any other
way of life it thinks what it's living is normal, if it thinks at all.
Maybe she should also think about how the food industries are going to supply umpteen million
people with food.
Next thing you know they'll be after chickens. Oh, wait...
I've been around enough farms to know those pigs deserve to be eaten....

From the article - and I quote the author verbatim: "Do we shrug and buy meat that has been created inhumanely, or do we demand that industry adapt a means of production to reflect a moral people?"

There are more choices than just two. Let me add some:
  • or, do we confront you (the author) and tell you to quit overlaying your personal moralities on me and the public in general
  • or, do we tell you that you can do whatever you want to do and let me do the same - aka - MYOB
  • or, do we tell you to buy a demonstration farm and have free range hogs to show us how its done.
  • or, because, bacon!
I could go on but you get the point.

How much cruelty is a pork chop worth?​

Whatever it takes to get it on a dinner plate! What next, sending in a priest to administer last rites? Grief counseling for the pigs litter mates? It's a pig, it's sole purpose is to wind up on a grill or in a smoker. RAY

Last edited:
Don't take it too lightly. There is an entire movement taking place designed to move us away from original food sources. You can buy a plant base Big Mac. Proteins can be and are grown in labs. Projecting human traits like they understand concepts such as cruelty onto animals has been going on since the dog was domesticated. This is being used as another front to move us away from commercial animal processing. The fact that it's made it's way all the way to the SC should tell you something.

That being said the processor just called me today asking how I want my pig cut up. :emoji_sunglasses:

You know, they complain about “profit “ but the truth is demand. There are a whole lot of hungry mouths to feed in this world. Would it just be better to let some starve? I don’t think so.

Growing up on a farm, we raised animals for the freezer. By the time I was 13-14 years old one of my responsibilities was slaughter and butcher of those animals, solo I might add, I was very good at what I did and I appreciated every animal that I cut the throat of. In reality to feed millions or billions of people the process has to become very controlled and mechanical, just the facts of life, but just the same it must happen. The Chinese now control a majority in our USA packing plants as owners, maybe go ask the CCP why they are not humane to their/our hogs.

I'm 58 as of Monday. I've been told since I was in my teens or earlier that it was only a matter on time before an earthquake caused California to fall off into the ocean. Sometimes I think we are way overdue.
And Mar a Lago

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky