• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

How much charcoal?

Joined Jul 9, 2006
I am using a ECB. how much charcoal should I use to maintain a 225 degree smoker...going to try the 3-2-1 method...by the way...my smoker's charcoal pan has air vents

thanks for any advice

vulcan75001

Smoking Fanatic
OTBS Member
Joined May 27, 2006
smokethembones...hello there...

Taylor makes a good temp gauge...they have a remote one.. so you don't have to bee glude to it all the time...
Maverick ET-73 is another very good one...has two sensors..one for the smoker temp...the other for the food temp...that is a remote one also...works good....I have one...

As far as how much charcoal to use, thats a hard one to give you a standard answer ...without a temp gauge...you won't really know...I would suggest getting a temp gauge and experiment a little first...before you try a smoke...

Later
Richard

PS..
I would use a lump type charcoal.. instead of the briquetts...burns better...not as much ash to screw up the draft in the charcoal pan either

icemn62

Smoking Fanatic
OTBS Member
Joined Jun 20, 2006
I would get 2 brikset cooks and 1 pork butt cook on a 20 lb bag of old style kingsford. I would add in some lump but never really measured it out to give you an answer. My rul of thumb for charcoal useage has always been less then 1/2 bag....go get some more. If more than 1/2 bag and some storage space.....go get some more.

jaynik

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Jan 22, 2006
To add to what others have said, I've learned that more isn't always better. I can get 225 with 3/4 of a chimney starter full of lump charcoal. If I use too much more than that, the coals smother themselves and I don't get enough temp. Good luck!

BTW, I use a vertical brinkmann charcoal smoker. I've drilled a couple extra holes and made charcoal grates to help with airflow.

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying! (But that's how we keep the lights on.)

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks