How Many Pounds?!?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

wsmsteveo

Original poster
Mar 18, 2009
Forgive me if this question comes up a lot around this place but how many pounds of raw pork shoulder (bone in) would i need to serve 15 people? I understand that it will lose maybe 40% of its weight while cooking all day but I'm just curious. This will be mostly a bunch of hungry 25 year olds drinking beer all day in the first nice weekend here in Massachusetts all year mind you. Any help is MUCH appreciated.

Regards,
Steve C.

I figure on a 50% yield after done. I allow 1 1/2 lbs. per person and usually end up with some leftovers depending on how hungry they are. I typically cook to much food though, but i love the leftovers.
icon_mrgreen.gif

I'm sure others will be along shortly to chime in.

I would find 2 8-9lb butts and it should be enough. But I like leftovers and I would do 3 and vac pak the remainders and freeze.

If all you do is shoulder I figure a pound a person precooked, however I usually add some fatties, moink balls etc so I always have extras but it always finds a home to go to.

i'm with these other guys. i'd do 2 nice sized 8+pounders and do a few sides bean and slaw. Maybe a fatty or some ABT's during the day

Agreed. They are big enough to get through the day with a little extra to save or go around. The beans will help stretch the meal as will the slaw. Make potatoe or macaroni salad if slaw is not your thing. Good luck & don't forget the qview.

Commercial guys figure about 50-55% of raw weight. They also figure 1/4 lb sandwiches. Now with that being said I let friends and family make their own sandwiches and find its usually around 1/3 lb each and a few will pile on a bit more. You know what sides and other stuff your cooking so you can guess how many sandwiches most of your friends will eat.

We put 4 oz of meat on a regular size sandwich. As many have already said, plan on 50% loss of weight from cooking and cleaning.
10 pound roast=5 lbs of ready to eat, with 4 oz/sandwich = 20 sandwiches.

Thats what we sell... for friends and family, the 4 oz thing goes WAY out the window! I have friends that will eat two half pounders!

do some corn and beans and tater salad and slaw and abts... etc.

for 15 or so hungry buddies drinking I would plan on 1/2 each with sides and then add 2 or 3 lbs for a buffer; I would start with 20 pounds... better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it!

As others are saying, 50% raw weight is probably a good place to start; your efficiency will often be better (especially if you inject or braise in juices), but it's better to end up with extra than run out. With Boston butts I actually tend to run ~60%, but that's beside the point.

When you allow people to make their own sandwiches, they tend to take a bit more than 4 oz. I myself tend to really pile it on, to the point of being made fun of. "Hey Phil, you know you can get more than one sandwich, right?" Everybody's a comedian...

If you're uncertain about how much people are actually going to eat, throw more sides in. I know that a big pan of baked beans alone will cut the amount of PP I need down by 1/4. It's amazing. Also consider putting on a couple slabs of ribs or some brisket for the connoisseurs; it's usually well-appreciated and again saves some of the shoulder.

In the end, don't stress. Just have fun! That's what Q is all about. You'll be the man of the hour in any case.

thanks for all of your input i really appreciate the help! I haven't been around these forums in a long time since I havent really had the time to smoke over the winter. I was looking up some ABT recipes becuase I have always wanted to make them, and I came across a bunch that had some ground beef mixed with cream cheese as the stuffing, wrapped in bacon. Anyone ever tried this?

I find that the amount of beer predicted to be consumed has a drastic affect on the amount of meat needed, for instance, my buddies would usually have a a 6-7 oz sandwich if they're stone cold sober, but I figure for every three beers they consume, it adds another ounce or two onto the meat needed, it's science.

I use Hot Italian Sausage, onion, colby jack, and cream cheese in mine then wrap them in the thinnest bacon I can find. Heres a mess of them that I did for Super Bowl this year.

For the ABTs, I've been using mild Italian sausage, cheddar-jack & some honey BBQ sauce mixed in. I fill the whole pepper, not split, & top it w/ soma thick cut bacon. Turns out great. Good luck w/ the feast! I've got one coming up too & you helped me out with the lb-age, thanks!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky