• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

How many leg quarters in GOSM?

analog assassin

Fire Starter
Joined Apr 16, 2007
Since we work Memorial Day, I was gonna bring the GOSM and smoke leg quarters because they're cheap and meaty. How many can I squeeze in a standard size GOSM?

Anybody got a good simple recipe for an appropriate rub? Otherwise I'll just stick with the trusted Tony Chachere's.

cheech

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Dec 19, 2005
One thing to try that I just love is the White BBQ sauce.

monty

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jul 17, 2005
Hey, killer!~

Depending on the size of your leg quarters and assuming (I hate that word) that you will use all four racks I would guiestimate six to eight per rack and still allow for proper draw. If you were to separate them into thighs and drumsticks you will be able to squeeze a few more in there without sacrificing proper smoke and heat distribution.

Hope this helps!

Cheers!

packrat

Fire Starter
Joined May 6, 2007
I agree; 6-8 per rack, depending on the size. Chicken quarters are one of my very favorites. It's always what I use for jerk chicken.

up in smoke

Smoking Fanatic
OTBS Member
Joined Jul 12, 2006
Are you talking about Big Bob Gibsonâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s Alabama White sauce, Cheech? Now that IS good stuff!

cheech

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Dec 19, 2005
That is the correct link for Big Bob Gibson's white BBQ sauce.

When I first tried it I thought it was not that good but 2 seconds later I was in love with it.

You really must try it at least once

az_redneck

Smoking Fanatic
OTBS Member
Joined Sep 8, 2006
To those who have made this: Did you make the one with the horseradish or without?

flash

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
Joined Mar 30, 2007
Man, you guys must have some small chickens.

I can only get 4 leg quarters, per rack, on my GOSM smoker, charcoal version. I am doing up 10 lbs worth right now. Marinated them in Mojo.

monty

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jul 17, 2005
Hey, Flash!

I grow some pretty good sized chickens and I was referencing the average market fare. Do you have the full sized GOSM or a smaller one?

Some of my larger roasters, if split into parts, would need a rack plus to fit peoperly.

All part of the fun!

Cheers!

cheech

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Dec 19, 2005
I am not a big horseradish fan, so I left it out.

flash

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
Joined Mar 30, 2007
I thought it was the larger one.
It is 16 x 16 inches with the grates 14 x 14 inches. I do like some space between the quarters to allow the smoke to work them better.

monty

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jul 17, 2005
My GOSM Gasser Big Block is 16"DX24"WX36"H. I think that is the difference. Ya had me worried there for a minute!
Cheers!

flash

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
Joined Mar 30, 2007
OK, I knew the gas one was wider. Just not sure if I have the widest Charcoal model.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.