how long to smoke cheese

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

crazymoon

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 24, 2014
Great North Woods, NH
I see quite a few different times posted for smoking cheese. I would like to have folks post their favorite times and see if there is a general consensus on the "best time". I just bought an amps and the pellets are on their way to smoke up some  Cabot cheese and want advice from you experts . thanks CM

I go 2 hours with maple dust, but last night I used oak pellets for 2 hours.

I go 2 - 3hrs with a fruit wood, apple, cherry peach? or a blend of fruit with little mesquite or Hickory. 

Good luck on your smoke and congrats on the toy you will love it. 

A full smoker is a happy smoker

DS

Thanks for the replies,2-3 hours with an apple or cherry will be a good start ,just waiting for work to slow down so I can experiment. CM

Keep a log. It helps to remind you in the future what you liked and didn't like.

1.Use fruit wood for sure on your first smoke.

2.split your cheese up into 3 groups. Take some cheese off after 2 hours and mark it. Then take some off after 3 hours and mark it. At 4 hours take the rest off and mark it.

3.vacu seal the cheese and let it sit for about four weeks. Open one pack of the 2 hour, one pack of the 3 hour, and one of the 4 hour and see what you like and don't like.

That's a good method to find out what you like or don't like. I like a lot of smoke on my cheese. Just did some cheddar, and Gouda with pecan for the first time last weekend.

I smoked it all for about 3 and a half hours. Never used pecan before so I'll see in a month if I like it or not. I usually use apple, peach, or a cherry/maple mix. All good choices.

Good luck

Thanks hillbilly, I just got my pellets in the mail and had forgot I ordered some pecan and corn cob. Now I'm not sure which one to try first !

A lot depends on your smoker set up.

For just the two of us, I use the Weber kettle and do about 4 lbs at a time. About 2 1/2 to 3 hours is good unless you like more smoke. Again depending on how smoke fills the chamber on your set up?

Using the old dust AMNS, we like a 50/50 mix of maple and cherry.  But choice of wood is all a matter of personal taste.

Good luck and good smoking.

You want to do a cold smoke with no heat but if you need to use heat to smoke then stay below 90 degrees.

Thanks. When I bought my MES 30 I never even thought of smoking cheese. I saw the mailbox mob...may try it pretty soon

djstight, I just did some and now have to wait a few weeks to let it mellow in. I can't wait to try it !

I have some cheddar, swiss and monteray jack I smoked about a week ago, going to try it on Thanksgiving day.  I only smoke it for about two hours.  This is only my 2nd time for smoked cheese.

I just opened some medium Bandon cheddar I did about 3 months ago. I smoked it for 3 hours with pitmasters choice. It's been in the fridge vacuum sealed the whole time. I was pleasantly surprised to find it no longer tastes like medium cheddar. It is now much sharper with a wonderful mellow smokiness. Do yourself a favor and hide some from yourself while it ages. You will be glad you did.  

The longer it sits the better it taste. As long as you have a good vacuum seal it can last 2 years in fridge

Reactions: fullborebbq
Its' been two weeks and I'm opening some today, I want to smoke more and I need to do a taste taste on my 3hr vs. 4 hr smokes. I will then decide how long to smoke my next batch that is going in later today.Cracker Barrel on sale for 1.99 per 8oz blocks !

I think how long you smoke cheese is up to how much smoke you enjoy in taste of smoked Cheese. I usually do 1 row of pellets in my pellet smoker and let it go from start to finish. All my friends that have had my smoked cheese just love it. they have even bought the cheese and I smoke it for them, for a portion of the finished product. I normally use Apple wood pellets and even have mixed it with hickory. You can experiment with the different wood pellets. Friends even buy pellets for me to use in smoking their cheese. Cold smoke only with very low heat! I really love to smoke cheese!

MGB, Yes I agree , this post was from last year. I ended up liking a 4 hour smoke with a mild chip like cherry or apple(sometimes alder). Since this post I've probably done 50 + pounds of cheese with no end in sight .
icon_biggrin.gif
 This is such a great site for learning new or better ways to smoke etc. I have learned a ton in the year I've been on this site !

4 hour is the way to go! My opinion of course which is always right just ask my wife. If you like smoke that is. Temp is an argument I don't want to get into because every internet tough guy will want to fist fight me over my opinion. That said I like a 70 smoker temp but I smoked cheese at 25 degrees a few years ago when I didnt know my a$$ from my elbows and it turned out just fine. 3 feet of snow on my deck and I was literally shoveling and "cold smoking".

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky