How long to smoke a 10lb Boston Butt at 275

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

funneljunkie

Original poster
Aug 7, 2013
Small Town in Illinois
I picked up a 10lb boston butt and i would like to smoke it at 250-275 i was wounding how long would it take? I was all so wounding what wood would be the best to use,Dry rub and injecton ingredients would work the best for a boston butt, This is the first boston butt i have ever done and i would like some advice i would really be thankful for it

Thanks 

God Bless

Tyler Renken

Smoke it until it has an internal temp of 195-205. Every peace of meat is different even it is the Same cut. Every smoker Cooks differenrly. I usually never go by time but internal temp. If you dont have à rub in particular try a mixture of onion garlic powder kosher salt black pepper and a little Brown sugar as a base for a rub. Any wood will do for pork since a butt is a very forgiving peace of meat. What Type of cooker do you have. Welcome to the Forum and dont forgetr the qview

Yeah, don't go by time. One might take 9 hours at your cook temp. Another maybe 11. Another.....well you get the idea. Cwalk has given a good basic rub....maybe add a little paprika and a little chile powder for a bit of heat. I don't inject butts as they have a lot of moisture in them, but you can if you like. Cook it to around 200 internal temp and then wrap it and rest it for an hour or more. Let just about any smoke flow pretty well for first 4 to 6 hours (careful if you use mesquite). The butt can take plenty. After that time it doesn't absorb near as much so don't get too concerned with smoke. Spritz with a little apple juice a few times during the cook and it will be great. Butts are pretty easy. Now one other thing....on a ten pounder you'll probably hit a pretty good stall. Even at 275. Dont panic. .stay patient and ride it out and you'll be a hero come dinner time.

Last edited:
Noticed that this is your first post with us here at SMF.  Would you mind popping over to Roll Call and introduce yourself?

Good luck with the pork!  The guys have given you good info!

Kat

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky