How long for chops?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rattlin_ram

Fire Starter
Original poster
Sep 18, 2007
Manson, IA
Just wondering how long a 3/4" or 1" pork chop would take to smoke? I've always done loins, roasts, atb's, ribs, etc... but I have some chops and pork steaks I may try this weekend... wondering when I need to fire up the smoker...

Thanks!

I'm sure more people will be a long to help you with approximate cooking times for a smoker, but I wouldn't imagine a 3/4 inch chop would take very long. Maybe an hour?
Did you know that as long as youknow the pig, where it came from and good fresh conditions a lot of people actually have chops done medium-rare. Not that I ever would do that because it is beat into your head as a child that any undercooked pork will make you sick, but a lot of the raw pork making people sick came before the days when there were health regulations in place. Fancy pants places in NYC will sometimes serve them that way, but like I said-it must be a clean pig freshly cut.
Sort of like fish, some people will only order a salmon filet medium-rare.
Just always make sure not to hang out in the danger zone between 41-140, though some argue it is 40-141 but hey, 1 degree...
Sorry I couldn't really help much, hope I was at least a little informative to someone today.

I agree with Fire It Up... maybe an hour. It really depends on how thick they are and what kind of smoker you are using.

Here's the last batch I did... http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/showthread.php?t=74062

They took maybe 1hr and 30 to 45 minutes, but they were stuffed. Also did them on my drum...it smokes fairly hot.

Good luck with your chops, hope you post pictures for us. :)

We get pork from local hog farmers. Last 1/4 we bought came from a guy up the road that has a confinement. I only take my loins and roasts to 145-150 before I remove them and wrap em up in foil and let 'em sit. And once in a while a nice thick chop will be a bit pink off my grill. I don't mind them medium a bit... And have never gotten sick off of them. But usually when I cook for others I make sure juices are nice and clear before I pull anything off.

I kinda figured about an hour but wasn't sure... thanks!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky