how long for a 10lb butt?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ryne

Original poster
Jul 2, 2013
I have my nieces birthday party next Saturday and I offered to bring a smoked butt. I have a 9.65lb butt. I want to cook it at 230 degrees. The party starts at 5, I would like to have it out of the smoker and resting in foil by 3:30 Saturday afternoon. What time do you guys think I should start the butt on Friday? Also, once I get it all pulled and ready, do I just throw it in the crock pot with some finishing sauce and put it on warm? Thanks in advance for your answers.

You can figure on 1.5 to 2 hours per pound and add a couple of hours just as a cushion. Sometimes butts have a mind of their own as when they will be done. If you are planning on pulling it take the internal temp (IT) of the butt to about 200*. If it gets done a little early, when you foil it put it in a cooler wrapped with some towels and it will stay hot 4 to 5 hours.

I see this is your first post here so when you get a minute would you do us a favor and swing by "Roll Call" and introduce yourself so we can give you a proper SMF Welcome, Thanks!

Hi Ryne,

Good advice by Dave as always.  I always figure 2 hours per pound if I am smoking at 225.

However, the last butt I smoked I cranked up the pit temp to 270 and an 8 pounder was done in under 10 hours!

Here is my recipe for North Carolina Dip (Vinegar Based BBQ sauce or finishing sauce)

3 Quarts of Apple Cider Vinegar

1 cup Ketchup (Catsup)

5 oz. Worsty sauce

10 oz. French's yellow mustard

3/4 cup salt (I use sea salt but regular iodized is fine) - I also usually cut back on the salt

1/4 cup fresh ground black pepper

1/2 oz crushed red pepper

4 oz of your favorite hot sauce (I cut back on the red pepper and hot sauce depending on the audience and it doesn't affect flavor)

Mix all ingredients in a large pot and bring it to a boil.  Once it boils it is ready for use as a mop or for canning.  

Makes about 1 gallon, which is enough to mop a 70 pound pig.

If you take this and put just enough on the pork to wet it and get the flavors mixed you'll have some of the best BBQ you've ever tasted!  This sauce compliments the pork and does not hide the natural meat flavors.

Bill

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky