• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

How long can I keep pork in cooler?

mattu1665

Fire Starter
Joined Aug 31, 2011
I pulled 2 butts off the smoker at 6:30 am, wrapped them in foil and a towel and then placed them in a cooler. We're not eating them until 3:00 pm this afternoon.

My question is, how long can I leave the butts in the cooler before I should pull them out and shred? Could I wait all the way up until it's time to eat?

gmc2003

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined Sep 15, 2012
Your probably going to be safe, but that's 8 1/2 hrs. I myself would come up with a plan B. Maybe shred now and reheat for the chow-down.

Chris

mattu1665

Fire Starter
Joined Aug 31, 2011
Your probably going to be safe, but that's 8 1/2 hrs. I myself would come up with a plan B. Maybe shred now and reheat for the chow-down.

Chris
Thanks, I was concerned the meat would dry out if I went that route. I've held butts in a cooler for 4 hours before but never 8 hours.

DougE

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Apr 13, 2010
I've only held them in a cooler for 3 or 4 hours and they were still hot enough to burn you, but 8 1/2 hours is a long time. Maybe hold it in the oven on low.

mattu1665

Fire Starter
Joined Aug 31, 2011
I've only held them in a cooler for 3 or 4 hours and they were still hot enough to burn you, but 8 1/2 hours is a long time. Maybe hold it in the oven on low.
Thanks, Doug! Should I shred the pork first or wait until ready to eat?

thirdeye

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Dec 1, 2019
I'd cycle the butt into an oven when the internal falls back down to 150°. This butt was hot held in a roaster oven on 155° for 6 or 7 hours. Make sure you have warmed juices in the foil or pan.
8oRtWNf.jpg

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.