How I light my AMNPS w/ video link

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Scooter, thanks for this info, couldn't have come at a better time.

Used my AMNPS for the first time yesterday but couldn't keep the sucker alight so hence no smoke in the chicken wings last night.

Off to the shed to put the AMNPS through its paces so as I have it right for the next time.

Cheers from Down Under 

Good video.  The heat gun blower really does a good job getting it going strong.

I've found opening the chip loader a bit makes sure it keeps going initially, but then close it down or it gets going too much.

So true. Cracking the door open to get things going on my wood stove works great too.., same technique.

Word to the wise on using the wife's blow dryer... Lighting pellets is not what they were designed for. If held too close to something, it'll get too hot and will blow its heat fuse. Heat guns, harbor freight etc, are much cheaper and tougher.

Last edited:
I was just searching over the forum and saw this thread. I utilize a MAP torch, works flawlessly. I use it for soldering occasionally so that's all I had available... it's also great for sous-vide charring!

Using MES 30

My AMPS went out yesterday. I had followed the ideas in the forum but it went out in about 20-25 minutes.  I had the old wood adding gizmo half out and upside down. So remembering how coal fires burn underground for years, I lit the end again [propane torch] then went to the underside and lit about the first 3". Put the AMNPS back in place. AMNPS was above the water pan hole, no water pan. And then took the wood adder out.  Worked fine the rest of smoke.Not sure if it was the underside burn or taking the loader completely out. But it worked. 

Using MES 30

My AMPS went out yesterday. I had followed the ideas in the forum but it went out in about 20-25 minutes.  I had the old wood adding gizmo half out and upside down. So remembering how coal fires burn underground for years, I lit the end again [propane torch] then went to the underside and lit about the first 3". Put the AMNPS back in place. AMNPS was above the water pan hole, no water pan. And then took the wood adder out.  Worked fine the rest of smoke.Not sure if it was the underside burn or taking the loader completely out. But it worked. 
Since it sounds like you have a Generation #2 MES, I would say it could be some of both, but IMHO it's getting a big Cigar-like Cherry going in the bottom that's the most important, so I would say the 3" burn in the bottom helped the most.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky