How high to keep the fire?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

nickdentist

Original poster
Jul 5, 2007
Brandon
I have a smoker with an offset fire box. When yall are smoking, do you keep an actual flame going in the firebox or do you just let the wood smoulder? Just wanted people's opinion on this.

Nick

Glad your here on the SMF. I use a side fire box and always start with charcoal, then I add wood, a split or two at a time. (Usaully split dry pieces of Oak or Maple, Cherry when I can find it) I just let the wood burn as it normally would, dont use too much at once. DONT concentrate on keeping 'fire' lit, but instead be concerned about the SMOKE. When you look at your exhaust pipe/chimney, you want to barely see the smoke ....... you want to see a nice Thin Blue Smoke coming a nice bed of coals.

i don't know yer pit but i have a brink smoke & pit- about a dozen briquettes & 1 full stick w/ my mods will go to 225-250 w/ a water pan & a tuning plate for about 3 hrs..... sometimes to 300 but i open the chamber often to reg temp. i fergot this ( very important) i only cook w/ mesquite or hickory- so very hot temp splits....

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky