How Franklin BBQ Smokes a Turkey

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I read his book and referred to it constantly before getting rid of my offset last year Keith. Two pounds of butter would cost as much as the bird these days, tho it'd make no difference to me, not a big turkey fan unless they are deep fried, I'd rather do a ham. Best thing about a turkey is a samich with cranberry sauce, best thing about a ham is the split pea soup that follows. RAY

I watched the video and decided to use herbed butter under the skin of a chicken that I put on the rotisserie. The chicken ended up tasting OK but the skin was not crisp. I read somewhere that butter has a fair amount of water in it, and that is what causes the non-crispy skin. I'm wondering if Franklin's turkey's skin was crisp. A lot of the BBQ pros aim for "bite through" skin and that's not crispy. Maybe Franklin gets bite through with his butter approach?

I'm going to smoke a turkey on my Weber Genesis using apple wood. I'll substitute herbed olive oil for herbed butter under the skin, then dry brine with salt only overnight, then herbed olive oil on the surface of the skin. I'm aiming for nice smoked flavor, tender and juicy meat, and crispy skin. After cooking Thanksgiving turkeys for almost 30 years, I've never been able to achieve all three, but I keep trying!

I wonder if there's a reason he didn't show a sliced shot? Way to much butter for me. He must have graduated from the Paula Deen school of cooking.
On a side note, we ate at Paula Deen's restaurant in Nashville last week....one of the worst dinners we have ever ordered. The salt level on every component of the meal could have killed a horse. Even the collard greens where inedible.

On a side note, we ate at Paula Deen's restaurant in Nashville last week....one of the worst dinners we have ever ordered. The salt level on every component of the meal could have killed a horse. Even the collard greens where inedible.
Not surprising. I don't watch a lot of cooking shows, but the few that I've seen. It seems like all of the cooks toss salt on a dish like it's snowing in Buffalo.

Do collard greens taste like spinach? I've always wanted to try them.

Chris

Not surprising. I don't watch a lot of cooking shows, but the few that I've seen. It seems like all of the cooks toss salt on a dish like it's snowing in Buffalo.

Do collard greens taste like spinach? I've always wanted to try them.

Chris
somewhat but it takes a long cook to do them right, lots of recipe's out there I have tried a few. I have been hit or miss on them, does not help that the rest of family is not really into them.

Reactions: gmc2003
The skin was for sure bite through. No way it's crispy bring wrapped in foil for over an hour.
I'm deeply suspicious of the lack of slicing/serving.
I'm doing to smoked turkeys, thinking about doing one covered or wrapped and the other in the oven uncovered to compare.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky