How do you like your pork?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ds7662

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
Sep 30, 2007
Richmond,VA
What I am talking about is what most commonly refer to as BBQ.
Whether it be whole pig, butt, or shoulder.
I love the eastern North Carolina styled stuff. Either pulled or minced. I personally don't care for sliced.
I can eat it just piled on a plate with slaw on the side or my favorite way is to put it on a bun and pile the slaw on it. I then love to pour a good vinegar based sauce on it. Hard to find around here so I make my own.

I know depending on region taste very. Just curious to see what everyone else likes.

I use left overs for all kinds of stuff as well. I have tried SFQ's sauce and have been using it ever since I found it. I pour it on right after meat is pulled.
I use my sauce once I place the meat on the bun.
It is similar to SFQ's with a little extra stuff.

1 1/2 cup cider vinegar
1/4 cup water
1/2 cup ketchup
2 tbs brown sugar
2 tbs red pepper flakes
1 tsp cayene
1 tbs Tony Chachere
1 tbs paprika

Wife says it is the best sauce I have ever made.

I am not referring to pork loin, ribs, ham, pork chops, bacon, sausage, or any other cuts.

I am talking about this...

Some like with a thick tomato sauce others with a vinegar sauce, and some with nothing at all.

DS......now you did it! I need to find something for supper and I do not have anything half that good looking in my fridge!
Fried chicken over the sink just isn't going to cut it. lol

i know allen.........i was just being a smarty pants...........hehehe

but THAT looks good.........and you blame your wasteline on RIDING IN YOUR CAR...........i can SEE where it came from...........LOLOLOL

Well riding in the car allows me to find the best and the cheapest places to eat.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Its ok, I was waiting for it.
icon_smile.gif

If I had to pick 1 it would be K.K. although I really don't care for those things. I rarely eats sweats at all. It really comes from just sittin all the time. I drive on average of 500 miles per day. So that is alot of sittin' time.

My absolute favorite way to have pork is whole hog cooked in an underground pit....it's so.......good!
http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/for...ead.php?t=9495

Second favorite is with the skin still on....slow cooked and mopped with a vinegar/jalapeno/onion/red pepper flake/kosher salt mop

IMAG0005_0034pigonblock6-copy-copy.jpg

Third favorite is a skinned hog, marinaded overnight in
a mojo sauce,

cookout6-07andsaltplains146-copy-copy.jpg

As for sauces...I like vinegar/red pepper flake sauces, I make my own.......and prefer sauces on the side.

Probably my favorite is pulled, but I can eat sliced or pretty much anyway when it comes down to it. God forbid who every came up with cole slaw on a pork sammie, but if you like it, fine. I can barely stand the stuff on the side plate, especially if its that runny cole slaw.
PDT_Armataz_01_32.gif

Now my neighbor makes a nice drier slaw which I have begun to enjoy. That's the way slaw should be. But it still will not end up on my pork sammie.

Dang it Alan, that WD is just plain warped.
eek.gif
Although there may be some truth to the donut thing.
icon_wink.gif

On edit, I like the pork pulled, with southern vinegar sauce too.

I know what you meant. I like it with the mater based sauces, vinegar based, Slaw Piled think between 2 pieces of Texas Toast and pork and slaw OOOZZING out from all sides, bowl full of baked beans and tater wedges or tater salad. I wasn't talking about just different cuts of pork, I was talking about the different BBQ as well. Whole Hog in the ground over night and then pulled, big old thick samiches of minced, and Outsides as we call them here with pimento cheese. I haven't ever found bad BBQ pork. Sorry for not expounding on what I said earlier.

I am talking about this...

Some like with a thick tomato sauce others with a vinegar sauce, and some with nothing at all.[/quote]

My favorite is a good butt done until the bone pulls out and pulled. Serve with the following South Carolina Mustard sauce from Real American Foods by Jane and Michael Sterns:

Piggy Park-Style Mustard-Based Sauce

1/2 cup French's Yellow mustard
6 Tablespoons sugar
1 cup cider vinegar
2 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon white pepper
1/2 teaspoon soy sauce
2 Tablespoons butter

Combine all ingredients except soy sauce and butter in a saucepan and simmer 10 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in soy sauce and butter.

I always double this and it fits comfortably into a quart jar. It makes a nice contrast to the traditional sauces and always gets rave reviews.

Doug

Terry,
That sign had me rolling.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Flash,
I can understand the slaw thing. Wife don't care much for it either. That is unless its a particular kind. Found a place that uses their bbq sauce as the mixing ingred. and it is great. Basically the chopped/minced cabage that is mixed with a vinegar based red sauce. I will be trying to make my own. Its different.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky