How do you keep thermometer dry?

Discussion in 'Meat Thermometers' started by shellbellc, Dec 13, 2007.

1. shellbellc

shellbellc Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Here I find myself smoking today and I have two thermo's sitting out there getting wet...has anyone run across this?

2. ikebbq

ikebbq Fire Starter

I've just wrapped mine in foil or tent it over the thermos. Never smoked in pouring rain though, so don't know if that would work.

3. fatback joe

fatback joe Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Rains often here........plastic ziplock type bag does the trick. Zip it down to just allow the wires to poke out then prop it up a little so the openside is down and water can't run in.

4. hawgheaven

hawgheaven Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Here ya' go:

[​IMG]

... plus you could wrap the unit in plastic wrap. That way it stays dry and you can still see it and use the controls.

5. shellbellc

shellbellc Master of the Pit OTBS Member

my problem is I have a vertical, the taylor's are magnetic, so they stick to the side. the maverick sits on top, both of which are in direct contact with the hot metal, I'm thinking the plastic would melt. I think we need someone to design a thermo hotel!!! Keep em' nice and dry.[​IMG]

6. walking dude

walking dude Smoking Guru SMF Premier Member

a cleaned out spam can............with just a window cut out for the display to show..........sit over the unit........

or a magnet hook.......wrap the unit in plastic.......shirley the space between the hook and the unit would be enuff space so the plastic doesn't melt?

just throwing ideas out

7. goat

goat Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

Perhaps you can find something that is 3 sided like the cover to the control box on a submersible water well pump. Screw that to your cooker and then stick the thermometers in the shed.

8. wvsmokeman

wvsmokeman Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

I always put mine in a gallon zip lock bag and zip it closed to the wires.