How do you eat your pulled pork?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

neens

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Feb 14, 2008
Orange, CT
The main reason I am asking becuase is personally I like to put a fair amount of BBQ sauce on mine and IMO it overpowers any finishing sauce I might add. I started with a Jeffs recipe as a base and heavily modified (a lot less sugars and a lot more peppers.) it to fit into what I think of as a mild category. I have found that the way I like it the finishing sauce tends to be useless because it adds no flavor once the BBQ sauce as been added. This also tends to be the way everyone I have served likes to eat their pork, maybe is a northern thing. The last 3 or 4 smokes I havenâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t used any finishing sauce and not only have I received no complaints but I have people telling me itâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s the best they have ever tried. I really donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t know if I should bring the finishing sauce back at this point or leave it in the past.

A few things to note, I smoke with all wood normally a mix of apple and maple. I take the meat to 205 before I take it off.

Most times finishing sauce replaces the BBQ sauce, or visa versa for the reasons you just mentioned. More of the meat flavor comes thru with the finishing sauce tho. When you have a well rubbed and perhaps injected butt, sometimes it's best to let the meat speak for itself :{)

I'll use the F sauce, and put B sauce on the side, if folks want it.

But it's all personal prefs.

I do the same as Rich....sauce on the side.....if people want to mess up my bbq pork by adding alot of sauce it's there for them. I don't like alot of sauce myself, I want to taste the meat!

Count me as a fourth to what Richtee said. It really is a personal pref (regionally influenced maybe) as I add the finishing sauce on it and leave other sauces on the side for folks to add. Some use it, some do not. Others might put cole slaw on it, too.

As Goose said, the meat can speak for itself when you smoke it right. Regardless of what you add, all of it is pretty good when start with that.

I rub mine prior to smoking, but when it's served I usually just have a bottle of Carolina Red and BBQ sauce on the table. Sometimes I use it, sometimes I don't... same with others that frequent my table. We occasionally throw a pile of slaw on top, but I've never done the finishing sauce thing. Pulled pork is usually so juicy, tender and tasty I've never really thought it was necessary, and prefer to leave the sauce decision to others.

EDIT: What Ron said down there... so many ways to have it, and most are real good.

I don't thing it's a "Northern thing". I'm from the North and I enjoy the finishing sauce. I also use a touch of BBQ sauce.

In my opinion, it is all about "layers of flavor". Each one adds something to the total. I use finishing sauce and BBQ sauce and cole slaw on my pork sandwichs. Each in the right amount has its place. Each one contributes but allows the other flavors to come through.

It's all about personal preference. If you enjoy it with no finishing sauce and lots of BBQ sauce and your friends enjoy that too, then that's the way you should go.

There is no right and wrong in BBQ.

I use a finishing sauce and then I put a ring of Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce and some Sandwich Pal horseradish on top of that. Finish with 4 dill pickles and I am ready to eat!

It's 10 after 8 in the morning and now pulled pork sounds better than my Carnation Instant Breakfast drink! Damn these forums!

Guess I went the opposite way. Always incorporated BBQ sauce into the PP and had more on the side. No complaints and lots of kudos but recently tried the finishing sauce on the meat with more FS on the side and BBQ on the side as well. Overwhelming response was FS was the way to go.

Had it not been for the folks here at SMF I may never have tried it and that is what this place is all about. Ideas, advise, critiques, and most of all, wisdom!

By the way, I like diced raw onion and dill pickle chips on my PP sandwich as well.

I make up a small batch of bbq sauce, but just for the wife. Finishing sauce all the way for me. I actually drown the meat in it, and let it soak it up while I finish making the rest of the meal. Then pile in on the plate, with a couple of dashes of tobasco.
08f850b7_vbattach18068.jpg

I must agree,I like the finishing sauce & most I serve also feel the same way-they like the flavor of the meat 1st. than the twang of the sauce-some will add a touch of bbq. on the side-some on the bun.However I have a bro. that just loves a good BBQ pork samwitch and for him the bbq sauce gets mixed with the pork & simmered a while than served-havn't had 1 person say yet that they don't like my pulled pork regardless.

Just a tiny bit of vinegar sauce. Not a fan of sauce on any of my meats, especially brisket and ribs. Although I always offer a bottle or two on the table for others.

I prefer just the taste of the juicy meat and the rub.
KC

Finishing sauce. I grew up in NC (eastern) and the finishing sauce is usually all there is. I continually sprinkle on a little while I am pulling then add a little more to mine once it is on my plate but usually have a tomato based sauce on the side for anybody who wants it (my kids love Sweet Baby Ray's). Many NC BBQ fans in my family and I have been told mine is the best Eastern NC type they have had. It definitely comes down to personal preferance but to some degree I think that can be influenced by region also. As long as you and your guests are happy keep doing what your doing but it is always fun to experiment also.

Another native to E. NC here.

What's BBQ sauce? Until I joined here, I had never heard the term finishing sauce, it was just the vinegar mixture we all had recipes for that we put on our pork. At pig pickins it was usually in gallon plastic vinegar jugs with holes punched in the cap and you squirt on some extra. Oddly enough, my version was almost identical to the SoFlaQer's with a few minor differences (amt of sugar, no cajun more red pepper, though I do now add cajun).

My favorite bottled version is Scott's sauce, and it's made just down the road from my home town of Mt. Olive.

I don't agree with putting bbq sauce on it, but I'll fight to the death for your right to do it (or something like that).

Don't get me wrong soflas sauce is good but the amount of heat I like the pork to have will drive others away which is were the bbq sauce comes in.

Also you guys who inject do you just mix up some rup with cider vinegar and inject that?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky