How do you dry peppers?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

flagg

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jan 1, 2016
Foley, AL
I strung up a bunch of paprika and cayenne last year. Some molded some dried nicely.

Is there a better way? I have a few paprika, sweet banana, jalapeño & cayenne ready now.

Gonna chop and freeze some bells. Is it better to throw the banana peppers in with them?

Last edited:
Did you split the peppers then hang ??   They need somewhere for the moisture to escape...  Then an area that has air flow...   The more you split them, the faster and drier they will get...   A dehydrator works well...

No split or cut. I used a heavy needle and coarse thread through the stems. Hung to dry in kitchen/dining area until the felt brittle. Lost about half. Other half made a good pepper powder.

I don't have a dehydrator. Got an oven, of course

Last edited:
No split or cut. I used a heavy needle and coarse thread through the stems. Hung to dry in kitchen/dining area for until the felt brittle. Lost about half. Other half made a good pepper powder.

I don't have a dehydrator. Got an o en, of course

Put 'em in your smoker with little to no smoke at around 200[sup]o[/sup] till they start shriveling. Continue on till you can hear the seeds rattling inside. I'll then put them into my dehydrator and let them set there for another couple of days. Never made a string of them but could. I mainly put them in a blender without the stems and make a pepper powder "Death Dust" and use it on a variety of  things you want to make spicier. I use it on my home cured bacon.

I cut my peppers into 1in. slices from top to bottom and lay them on a screen and a fan underneath blowing upward towards the peppers, a computer fan works great. You can leave the seeds and membrane in if you want a little hotter spice.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky