How clean out a UDS

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

danbono

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Feb 19, 2012
North New Jersey Paramus
Hi All I'm just curious about how one goes about cleaning out a UDS when the smoking is done?

I may be looking to build one down the road.

Thanks Dan

If you're talking about the ash, what I did with mine is bolted the legs of the charcoal basket through a cheap 18" pizza pan. The pan sits on the bottom of the UDS about 3" below the bottom of the basket. I just lift the whole thing out to dump the ash & stuff.

I didn't think about it when I built mine. I ended up with a huge basket and couldn't find an off-the-shelf pizza pan to fit. Ended up cutting a water heater pan to size an bolting to the basket. I still have foil below that though, to catch everything that slips through. But it's bc I don't have a shop vac

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky