How about bacon ground up in your breakfast sausage?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

theoldman

Fire Starter
Original poster
Oct 14, 2010
Stopped in one of the older grocery stores in the area the other day, and they had their own locally sliced bacon on sale for $2.29/#.

Can't buy the pork bellies around here for that, so I tried a couple of pounds.  Excellent bacon, not as good as home made, but close.

Went back and bought some more. I've got 2 9# pork buts thawed out ready to grind today, but I always end up with really good sausage, but kinda dry, not enough fat.

Butchers around here never have any fat for sale, guess they use it all.  I've got a couple of pounds of fatty bacon left.  Wonder how the sausage would taste if I ground the bacon up with it for fat?  Anybody ever try that?

Yessir, good idea.  Made about 10 lbs of turkey breakfast sausage last weekend and added my home made bacon. Was about 10-15% bacon in total.

Also used about 10% bacon in a summer sausage.  Both results were great!!

Cheers!

Stopped in one of the older grocery stores in the area the other day, and they had their own locally sliced bacon on sale for $2.29/#.

Can't buy the pork bellies around here for that, so I tried a couple of pounds.  Excellent bacon, not as good as home made, but close.

Went back and bought some more. I've got 2 9# pork buts thawed out ready to grind today, but I always end up with really good sausage, but kinda dry, not enough fat.

Butchers around here never have any fat for sale, guess they use it all.  I've got a couple of pounds of fatty bacon left.  Wonder how the sausage would taste if I ground the bacon up with it for fat?  Anybody ever try that?
I often use bacon ends in  my fresh sausage, it works fine and even adds some to the flavor.

From my experience you need to adjust the salt in your recipe as bacon obviously has more salt in it than regular back fat.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky