• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Houston, we have a brisket!!

oz

Joined Feb 2, 2006
OK, I have to share this one. After a long absence while moving back to the USA, my smoker was unleashed on the woods of Massachusetts. I found a great CAB packer, about 12lbs, some lump charcoal, wood, and a free weekend so off I went. It was really great to see the old Kiwi vertical smoker pumping out a steady blue smoke. The Maverick thermometer worked well keeping an eye on both the meat and cooking chamber and I now know all about plateaus. I had 2, one at about 150 degrees and another at about 180. Eighteen hours later it was a done deal. An all nighter with a brisket- Wow but soooo worth it! Perfect ring...perfect bark...just the right amount of smoke. I'll never loose any weight this way.
Sorry, but I sliced it all before I thought to take a picture. I also want to thank everyone on this forum for all the discussion and suggestions over the past year. Although I mainly lurked, I did keep reading. This is the best site on the internet! And on a selfish note: hey, do you think there could be any nominations to the OTBS coming this way?????? Anyway keep on smokin- I will!!!

OZ

icemn62

Smoking Fanatic
OTBS Member
Joined Jun 20, 2006
Good brisket on the 1st time out....That is bragging rights. 18 hour cook..more bragging rights. Shipped some to the icemn62 labs for testing.....{you forgot :(}

Congrats on getting the hardest meat to perfect right on your 1st attempt. How did you do on your ribs, and pulled pork? {Still have not figured out how to ship that brisket to the labs....}

I shall pour a cold one in your name, and drink up to your health.

larry maddock

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Sep 27, 2005
yo oz dude,
if i may--
it sounds like you are a INTERNATIONAL MEAT SMOKER.
im sure this will go a long way with the Knights.

as with thick meat---be patient--its working.

oz

Joined Feb 2, 2006
Thanks guys. It was great fun but certainly not my first. I have been smoking for more years than I care to remember but have been separated from my smoker for some time. Just needed a smoke fix and it turned out great. I will be sending up smoke signals quite a bit now. Oh, and I will do ribs next. I have to confess (originally being from Texas) I haven't tried pork butt yet but that is on the "must do" list.

Smoke on,
OZ

drinkdosequis

Fire Starter
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jul 14, 2006
Oz,

I agree this is the greatest website on the net. I haven't been smoking because it is just too hot in southwest Oklahoma but I read here everyday!

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.