Hot Smoked Beef Sammy with Gravy

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Bearcarver

Gone but not forgotten RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
Group Lead
Sep 12, 2009
Macungie, PA
Hot Smoked Beef Sammy with Gravy

(Great way to use left-over Pulled Beef)

I don't know how popular this stuff is in other parts of the world, but all the restaurants in my area serve it. It is also usually the cheapest hot meal on the menu, which is probably why my parents were glad it was the only thing I ever ordered when we used to stop some place to eat, when I was a kid.

The main differences between this & the restaurant "Hot Roast Beef Sandwich" is mine is pulled smoked beef from my last Chucky, and restaurants usually slice roast beef with the grain, and some of them even use roast beef lunch meat, heated up with the gravy.

Another popular thing to go with this is "French Fries with gravy on the fries", but this time Mrs Bear made Mashed Taters & Carrots.

I never grew out of it, because I still love it!!!

OH BTW----This used to be the only thing my Son would order when we stopped in a restaurant too!!

Not much of a step by step, but it's not hard to figure out.

Enjoy the Qview & BearView,

Bear

First---Just slap a slice of your favorite bread on a plate:
c2168be1_DSC02732.jpg

Cover that slice of bread with a nice pile of Hot Smoked Pulled Beef:
0d279321_DSC02734.jpg

Put a bunch of Beef Gravy on top of that pile of Pulled Beef:
a497e959_DSC02736.jpg

Then another slice of bread, and a nice mess of Beef Gravy on top of the whole thing:
edb2a7cc_DSC02737.jpg

This time Mrs Bear made some Mashed Taters & Young Carrots (MMM, Big scoop of Gravy in the Taters):
19476a45_DSC02740.jpg

That's All Folks!!!

Last edited:
Man smoked beef & then covered in gravy? Winner, Winner Chicken Dinner!!

Hey Bear I noticed your OTBS sign has been missing from your post? any reason?

LOL, back when I worked at the Orlando Sentinel, in our Cafeteria, we had a Black Cook named Betty. She was a real hoot. Always laughing and smiling. Good food too. I occasionally brought her some fish and she always gave me a little extra helping. Tuesday nights was Roast Beef night and I got her started making me, what we ended up calling a "Betty Boat" (the long deep dish plate was shaped similar to a boat)  which held two pieces of bread smothered in pulled roast beef, then two more pieces of bread covered in Gravy. On the side was my French Fries, also covered in Beef gravy. MMMMMMMMMM. I would barely get in the Cafeteria and she would have the Betty Boat ready for me. Wasn't smoked, but still was REAAAAAAAAAALLLL good.

Excellent Bear.

Last edited:
Brings back some great memories Bear. When I was a young boy and my Mom would take my Sister and I shopping we would always stop at a cafeteria for lunch which was in a Woolworth's 5¢ & 10¢ or similar store. I always ordered the blue plate special which was an open faced roast beef or turkey sandwich with mashed potatoes and smothered in gravy. Heck I don't even remember what veg I would order with it but I would clean that plate. To this day if either is on the menu thats what I order. I also always liked the salsbury steak with mushrooms and mashed potatoes and gray. Man I love a good old fashioned diner or cafeteria.

When I was in college and didn't have a lot of money to spend on food one of my go to dishes were the el cheapo frozen packages of turkey or beef with gravy. You could get like 3 or 4 packs for a dollar. Buy a loaf of bread some instant mashed potatoes and a bag of frozen vegetables and I could eat for a week.

Good Times!

Brother Bear,  That looks too good to eat!...As If that would ever happen!  My families favorite dinner is Pot Roast, cooked until it can be Pulled. I/We, all the Cheffie Daughters can make it now, usually serve it over Jamaican Dumplings called Spinners, well the Chef that gave me the recipe was Jamaican.

I have to try a couple of hours of smoke on the Chuck first then try that Samich with leftovers...JJ

LOL, back when I worked at the Orlando Sentinel, in our Cafeteria, we had a Black Cook named Betty. She was a real hoot. Always laughing and smiling. Good food too. I occasionally brought her some fish and she always gave me a little extra helping. Tuesday nights was Roast Beef night and I got her started making me, what we ended up calling a "Betty Boat" (the long deep dish plate was shaped similar to a boat)  which held two pieces of bread smothered in pulled roast beef, then two more pieces of bread covered in Gravy. On the side was my French Fries, also covered in Beef gravy. MMMMMMMMMM. I would barely get in the Cafeteria and she would have the Betty Boat ready for me. Wasn't smoked, but still was REAAAAAAAAAALLLL good.

Excellent Bear.
You got it----Exactly !!

Thanks Flash,

Bear

Man smoked beef & then covered in gravy? Winner, Winner Chicken Dinner!!

Hey Bear I noticed your OTBS sign has been missing from your post? any reason?

Nope.

Thanks Terry!

Bear

Last edited:
Brings back some great memories Bear. When I was a young boy and my Mom would take my Sister and I shopping we would always stop at a cafeteria for lunch which was in a Woolworth's 5¢ & 10¢ or similar store. I always ordered the blue plate special which was an open faced roast beef or turkey sandwich with mashed potatoes and smothered in gravy. Heck I don't even remember what veg I would order with it but I would clean that plate. To this day if either is on the menu thats what I order. I also always liked the salsbury steak with mushrooms and mashed potatoes and gray. Man I love a good old fashioned diner or cafeteria.

When I was in college and didn't have a lot of money to spend on food one of my go to dishes were the el cheapo frozen packages of turkey or beef with gravy. You could get like 3 or 4 packs for a dollar. Buy a loaf of bread some instant mashed potatoes and a bag of frozen vegetables and I could eat for a week.

Good Times!
Thanks shooter!

We used to have a Woolworth's & a Sine's 5¢ & 10¢, in my home town. I think the "Sine's" is still there, but I don't think they have anything for 5¢ any more!!!  
biggrin.gif

Bear

Awwhhhh............... thought you could slip one past the Rapster Huh?  I don't think so!  
68.gif

Beef, Bread, Gravy = Raptor

I could smell it from here, I just couldn't figure out which house it was coming from 
102.gif

Very nice my friend 
beercheer.gif

Last edited:
That brings back great memories Bear!

My boss used to treat me to lunch about once a week & we always went to this place known for their hot roast beef sammies.

MmmMmm Good!

Yours looks fabulous!

"WoolWorths"  what a blast from the past.. It has been so so many years since I last heard that name.. I remember the smell of that place and always looking forward to a Hot Fudge Sundee at the counter....

"WoolWorths"  what a blast from the past.. It has been so so many years since I last heard that name.. I remember the smell of that place and always looking forward to a Hot Fudge Sundee at the counter....
Oh yeah, Hot Fudge Sundae! My Mom would only let us get ice cream if we finished our lunch. Yo Mom plate cleaned. I also remember they had these balloons and if you ordered a sundae or banana split you got to pop one and there was a piece of paper inside the balloon with a reduced price for the sundae. Always looked forward to that.

Last edited:
Great post Bear. Nothing beats a little meat and gravy.

Brother Bear,  That looks too good to eat!...As If that would ever happen!  My families favorite dinner is Pot Roast, cooked until it can be Pulled. I/We, all the Cheffie Daughters can make it now, usually serve it over Jamaican Dumplings called Spinners, well the Chef that gave me the recipe was Jamaican.

I have to try a couple of hours of smoke on the Chuck first then try that Samich with leftovers...JJ
Thanks Jimmy!!!

There are a lot of things that look to good to eat, but we eat them anyway!!! 
biggrin.gif

Bear

I'll take two! 
drool.gif
 Great looking sammy and sides ! 
Thanks Meat!!

Bear

Awwhhhh............... thought you could slip one past the Rapster Huh?  I don't think so!  
68.gif
      I shoulda known better  
biggrin.gif

Beef, Bread, Gravy = Raptor

I could smell it from here, I just couldn't figure out which house it was coming from 
102.gif

Very nice my friend 
beercheer.gif
Thanks Buddy!

Bear

That brings back great memories Bear!

My boss used to treat me to lunch about once a week & we always went to this place known for their hot roast beef sammies.

MmmMmm Good!

Yours looks fabulous!
Thanks Al !!

I didn't know if these were nationwide, but it looks like they are.

Bear

Graet looking sammie got to love all the gravy
drool.gif
Thanks!!

Bear

Hey Bear buddy you talking my talk now . It looks just great !!!!!
Thanks---I thought you'd like it !

Bear

Yup---Old Time Stuff here!!!!

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky