Hot and Fast Brisket Fail (Sort of)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tander28

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jan 7, 2016
Kansas
I cooked my first hot and fast brisket over 4th of July weekend, and I'm just now getting around to posting. My notes:

8.5 lb brisket. Injected the night before with soy sauce, salt, sugar, water reduction through the plastic. Rubbed right before the smoker with Meat Church Holy Cow and Gospel (70/30). Rigged a rack setup with a pan underneath. Cooked unwrapped 2.5 hours until about 165. Wrapped in BP, placed on rack within the pan with rendered juices already there plus a combo of soy sauce, Miller Lite and Chicken Boullion reduced down. Covered whole pan with foil. Cooked another 2 hours until reading 205 on leave in probe, everywhere else was 203-215. Rested in a cooler for 4 hours until temp hit 145.

It turned out pretty tough. I should have known better than to pull it since it wasn't probing tender, but I thought it may relax as it rested since it was cooked hot and fast. After all, the IT was well within the range of "should be done." The bark suffered due to the panning for sure, but the flavor was excellent (which I attribute to the injection and steaming liquid). I ended up throwing it in the oven after slicing with a good amount of the leftover jus (fat separated out) at 225 for a few hours and the final product was much better overall but especially the texture, even if the flavor got a little pot-roasty with the smoke flavor fading.

I'm not sure I'll try hot and fast again as I've turned out some excellent low and slow brisket. I don't always mind the time it takes, especially these days since I'm limited to the house for the most part. I prefer the low and slow bark as well since I wrap in butcher paper it keeps its firmness. Who knows though, maybe I just needed to give it more time and I'd have been pleased with it.

The pics make it look a little better than it was honestly.

Headed to the foil
IMG_1218.JPG

Out of the cooler rest and ready to slice
IMG_1220.JPG

Sliced up--before the jus bath and return trip to the oven.

IMG_1222.JPG

looks good from here, that's the good thing about smoking even our not so good stuff is still good. also sometimes we're our own worst critics to.

Nice ring. What temp did you cook at ?

I've only done 1 hot & fast brisket and I did it in about 5 or 6 hours - no injection, just rub and into the cooker with a wrap with pink butcher paper once it reached 160 deg (after about 2 hours). The bark on mine suffered from lack of time uncovered (I didn't use any pans) and I got some burn on bottom to the paper from the high temps (350 after wrapping). Only issue I had was lack of bark and the burnt bottom but 85% of the brisket was excellent. I've done several semi fast briskets since then with great results. Keep on trying - it works if you're in a pinch for time.

" IT " is a good Guideline of when to start Probe Testing and nothing more. Yes, it frequently works out that Butts are fall apart tender at 205 but not always. Same with Brisket at 195 to 200...JJ

Looks Great, Tander!!!
Hot & Fast?? What Smoker Temp did you use?
Nice Job!
Like.

Bear
325 -- I modeled the cook after Myron Mixon's hot and fast technique he shared on YouTube back in April.
Best part about brisket, even bad brisket is good brisket.
You aren't wrong! I ate quite a few slices and chopped/froze the rest for tacos, chili, etc.
looks good from here, that's the good thing about smoking even our not so good stuff is still good. also sometimes we're our own worst critics to.
I'm definitely my own worst critic, but still, it wasn't my best effort haha.
Nice ring. What temp did you cook at ?
Thanks! 325
I've only done 1 hot & fast brisket and I did it in about 5 or 6 hours - no injection, just rub and into the cooker with a wrap with pink butcher paper once it reached 160 deg (after about 2 hours). The bark on mine suffered from lack of time uncovered (I didn't use any pans) and I got some burn on bottom to the paper from the high temps (350 after wrapping). Only issue I had was lack of bark and the burnt bottom but 85% of the brisket was excellent. I've done several semi fast briskets since then with great results. Keep on trying - it works if you're in a pinch for time.
Running short on time is the only scenario I'd see going this route, but it sure was quick (4.5 hours cook and 4 hours rest).
" IT " is a good Guideline of when to start Probe Testing and nothing more. Yes, it frequently works out that Butts are fall apart tender at 205 but not always. Same with Brisket at 195 to 200...JJ
I know this, but I have trouble forcing myself to listen to it when the brisket is reading those ITs haha. It probably had a lot to do with changing up my routine, I convinced myself maybe it was supposed to be tougher since it was cooked hot/fast. Won't make that mistake again!

Looks really good! Nice smoke ring, and the slices look perfect. I've never done hot and fast, only low and slow. Like it's said above, even a not so good Brisket is still good. Thanks for sharing.

Mike

Looks really good! Nice smoke ring, and the slices look perfect. I've never done hot and fast, only low and slow. Like it's said above, even a not so good Brisket is still good. Thanks for sharing.

Mike
Thanks! It was fun to try something different, but not sure I'll do it again soon.

I tried hot and fast once . 12 lb for 7.5hr @ 300-325. Tender and juicy but not as tender or juicy as the two previous briskets low and slow. Ive stuck with overnight low and slow ever since . I enjoy the final product better.

I tried hot and fast once . 12 lb for 7.5hr @ 300-325. Tender and juicy but not as tender or juicy as the two previous briskets low and slow. Ive stuck with overnight low and slow ever since . I enjoy the final product better.
I think I'll do the same honestly, unless I'm in a time crunch--but I usually don't let that happen since the big cuts reheat so well.

Reactions: phathead69
I'm a it late to the party here but that looks pretty darned from my vantage point. i'd never turn down a plate, that's for sure.

Robert

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky