Horseradish?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kawboy

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
Oct 20, 2015
Central Minnesota
The other day I was eating some of my venison summer sausage with some horseradish pickles. It tasted pretty good together. My question is how to mix horseradish into my summer sausage. I use the fleet farm mixes, I haven't been gutsy to try from scratch yet. How much would I add to a five pound batch? Just coarse horseradish in a jar? I figured pickles would just be weird. Thanks.

I probably wouldn't use fresh. But I suppose you could. You can get powdered which might be better.

As far as amount. I'd start small and test it out as you add by drying a small patty to sample.

Try grinding a fresh root...  They are at some groceries that carry it....  I usually put 1 heaping TBS into a 5# meatloaf...  You know there's HR when you do that...

Try grinding a fresh root...  They are at some groceries that carry it....  I usually put 1 heaping TBS into a 5# meatloaf...  You know there's HR when you do that...

As much as I like using fresh ingredients for fresh cooked food, I've found that using dry spices is best for things like summer sausage, and other cured goods. The process can give off flavors to fresh ingredients.

I will say fresh ground Horseradish is the best on a nice slab of smoked prime rib.

Thanks guys, I may have to try some next batch. I usually end up with about a half pound that doesn't fit in a casing, I can experiment with that.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky