Honey Ham

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bratrules

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jun 7, 2010
Southern Cali.
Here's some Honey Ham i cured and smoked yesterday. i cured a pork shoulder that i de-boned and some cushion meat i cured it for about 4 days. smoked at 150 for about 3 hours then finished it at 190-200 till it hit 155 inside. here are some pics.

ce385c68_Photo0470.jpg
fac0f9e8_Photo0474.jpg
91bd5af7_Photo0475.jpg

the flavor is of hickory with and honey and a bit of thyme its really good unlike anything you can buy at the market!! as for the recipe its goes like this most of the time i just eye ball everything except for the pink salt. it was about

1 gallon water

1/2 cup of honey

1 cup kosher salt

1 tsp thyme & rosemary

1/2 cup brown sugar

4 cloves of garlic crushed

2 tsp of crush black pepper

1 1/2 tsp of cure#1

i also injected the cure it to the meat for a faster curing time.

Looks great.  Two questions.  First, does four days in the cure give it a real "hammy" flavor?  And second -- what is "cushion meat?"

I've cured and smoked a couple batches of bacon, and want to do a ham -- this may be the way to start.  Thanks!

cushion meat is part of the pork shoulder you can look it up on line it will explain more. and since i pumped the meat with the cure four day was enough to cure and give it a great ham taste. i also did a Canadian bacon the other day i left that one in the cure for 7 days since i didn't pump it. i also want to make bacon but i can't find any place around here that carries pork bellies.
icon_neutral.gif

cool.gif

Man oh Man that looks awesome. I would really like to try something like that here soon. I like to dry and cure meats for a while now too.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

cushion meat is part of the pork shoulder you can look it up on line it will explain more. and since i pumped the meat with the cure four day was enough to cure and give it a great ham taste. i also did a Canadian bacon the other day i left that one in the cure for 7 days since i didn't pump it. i also want to make bacon but i can't find any place around here that carries pork bellies.
icon_neutral.gif
Thanks!  I didn't think about how pumping it helps with the cure.  I was thinking about bacon, and how I dry cure it for 7 days.  I'm going to make this ham now -- also want to make some Canadian bacon.  I'm lucky when it comes to pork bellies.  I live close by a place that has several vendors who carry it.  I have heard that you can order it online.  Or check with a local butcher who might be able to bring it in for you.  You'll love making your own bacon.  No going back to store bought after you do!

i check out one place they were charging $4.99 a pound which a find a little steep. whats a good price for belly?

The first batch I bought was $2.39, the second $2.69 -- but it was "meatier" and I think a better quality.  Both batches were with the skin on.  $4.99 does seem a bit steep -- I'd keep looking.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky