Honey Ham

Discussion in 'Pork' started by bratrules, Jul 7, 2010.

1. bratrules

bratrules Smoking Fanatic

Here's some Honey Ham i cured and smoked yesterday. i cured a pork shoulder that i de-boned and some cushion meat i cured it for about 4 days. smoked at 150 for about 3 hours then finished it at 190-200 till it hit 155 inside. here are some pics.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. fftwarren

fftwarren Smoking Fanatic

looks awesome. you mind sharing your recipe? How was the flavor?

3. bratrules

the flavor is of hickory with and honey and a bit of thyme its really good unlike anything you can buy at the market!! as for the recipe its goes like this most of the time i just eye ball everything except for the pink salt. it was about

1 gallon water

1/2 cup of honey

1 cup kosher salt

1 tsp thyme & rosemary

1/2 cup brown sugar

4 cloves of garlic crushed

2 tsp of crush black pepper

1 1/2 tsp of cure#1

i also injected the cure it to the meat for a faster curing time.

4. jak757

jak757 Smoking Fanatic Group Lead

Looks great.  Two questions.  First, does four days in the cure give it a real "hammy" flavor?  And second -- what is "cushion meat?"

I've cured and smoked a couple batches of bacon, and want to do a ham -- this may be the way to start.  Thanks!

5. bratrules

cushion meat is part of the pork shoulder you can look it up on line it will explain more. and since i pumped the meat with the cure four day was enough to cure and give it a great ham taste. i also did a Canadian bacon the other day i left that one in the cure for 7 days since i didn't pump it. i also want to make bacon but i can't find any place around here that carries pork bellies. [​IMG]

6. mballi3011

mballi3011 Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

[​IMG]

Man oh Man that looks awesome. I would really like to try something like that here soon. I like to dry and cure meats for a while now too.[​IMG]

7. jak757

Thanks!  I didn't think about how pumping it helps with the cure.  I was thinking about bacon, and how I dry cure it for 7 days.  I'm going to make this ham now -- also want to make some Canadian bacon.  I'm lucky when it comes to pork bellies.  I live close by a place that has several vendors who carry it.  I have heard that you can order it online.  Or check with a local butcher who might be able to bring it in for you.  You'll love making your own bacon.  No going back to store bought after you do!

8. bratrules

i check out one place they were charging $4.99 a pound which a find a little steep. whats a good price for belly?

9. jak757

The first batch I bought was $2.39, the second $2.69 -- but it was "meatier" and I think a better quality.  Both batches were with the skin on.  $4.99 does seem a bit steep -- I'd keep looking.