Honey Baked Ham Help............

Discussion in 'Pork' started by jtribout, Jun 10, 2008.

1. jtribout

jtribout Meat Mopper

We have about 4 birthdays around the 4th of July and we have a big family get together. The big hit at the party is Honey Baked Ham. My wife loves my smoking and she wants me to make the hams for the party. I have never done a ham but it needs to be as good as the "Honey Baked Ham" or the family will kill me. I'd like to test it out B-4 the big party to make sure I have it down pat.

I could really use a start to finish recipe including cooking the meat and a glaze for the ham that will kill at the party. HELP..........................

2. bbq bubba

bbq bubba Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Put Honey baked ham in smoker till 140 internal, glaze with Honey baked ham glaze and serve!! [​IMG]

3. jtribout

jtribout Meat Mopper

In the smoker at 225? Higher, Lower?

The Glaze, Just Honey?

4. earache_my_eye

earache_my_eye Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

For ham I wouldn't smoke any higher than 225-250*....it's already cooked.

Did a quick search on Cooks.com and found this:

10 to 12 lb. fully cooked bone in ham
    Whole cloves
    1/2 c. honey
    1/2 c. brown sugar
    1 tsp. dry mustard
    1 tbsp. orange juice

Just watch your internal temp. I would prolly glaze it at 130*...and again at 140*

Let us know how it turns out! (preferrably with qview...[​IMG])

L8r,
    Eric

5. jbchoice1

jbchoice1 Smoking Fanatic

here is a very good glaze recipe. I usually add more spices but this is simple also from cooks.com

GLAZE:

4 tbsp. honey
    2 tbsp. brown sugar
    1 tsp. Dijon mustard
    1 tsp. rum (opt.)
    Cloves, allspice & nutmeg

6. jtribout

jtribout Meat Mopper

Great info from all! I'll keep ya posted. [​IMG]

7. bbq addict

bbq addict Smoke Blower

8. bamafan

bamafan Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

I smoke quite a few hams. Here is what I do if you want to try it. I take a mix apple juice or pineapple juice, brown sugar, and honey, heat it up in a pot to dissolve the sugar. Put the ham in an oven bag and use a injector to get the liquid in the ham. Fill it up. If you don't use the bag the mixture will squirt all over your house if you are not careful. I have covered my kitchen with the stuff when I hit a vein with the injector. Then I rub the ham with honey and brown sugar and let it do it thing @ 200-225 until done. I nornally use hickory for this. Every one has come out good.

9. jtribout

jtribout Meat Mopper

Bama, That looks about the same as BBQ posted. Is the taste the same as "Honey Baked"? I'm under pressure on this. 5 years ago someone brought a home made ham to the party and everyone is still talking about how it was not as good. [​IMG]

10. walking dude

walking dude Smoking Guru SMF Premier Member

i thought you was talking about MAKING a ham.......like from scratch?

11. bamafan

bamafan Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

jtibout, I think what really makes mine turn out is the injection in the inside of the ham. I really fill that sucker up. With the brown sugar and honey that I rub on the ham turns the outside black and looks like it is burnt in most places, but is good to eat for some people. I love the bark. Sounds like you are under the gun on this one to turn out perfect. I have simple made a basic glaze and just poured over the ham and then smoked it. Haven't done one with out injection on the smoker for a long time though. Sorry if I have only added to the confusion on which way to go.

12. jtribout

jtribout Meat Mopper

Ya Dude,

Can you help?