Homemade smoker questions

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rhino70

Fire Starter
Original poster
Nov 3, 2009
Hi Everyone,

I have a question about making my own smoker. The more i read about the smoker that I have been looking at (The MES), and the more i read about some of the awesome homemade units you guys are making out here, i think I can probably figure out how to make a smoker that is just as good as the MES with a much larger capacity for a LOT cheaper, and can be fixed by me on any given day.

Here is the list of things that i think i may need to make this a set-and-forget type unit.

1) Upright freezer with metal inner walls. (I know a guy that will give me an old admiral freezer for free).

2) Brinkman 1500 watt heating element and insert ($40 at cabelas)

3) TEMPERATURE CONTROLLER OR PID. DOES ANYONE KNOW WHERE TO GET A REASONABLY PRICED PID OR TEMPERATURE CONTROL, AND DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO WIRE THEM TO CONTROL THE ELEMENT BASED ON THERMOSTAT?? (This is the only wild card, but even if i can get one that i can use for under 100 bucks, it will be well worth it)

4) Some stove pipe and cap for a vent (15$)

5) Dowels for lots of racks. ($15)

I do have one major question. With the metal inner walls of the old admiral freezer, would this be safe for doing cooler smoking temps (140-160) as well as hotter ones (225-250) for brisket and ribs?? has anyone had any experience with using a refrigerator smoker for ribs and hot smoking/cooking??

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky