Homemade chili dogs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

73saint

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Mar 8, 2017
Near New Orleans La
We ended up with so much leftover meat from my beef ribs (https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/big-bones.276403/), I decided to take 2 lbs of the deboned meat and make a beanless chili for chili dogs.

My personal favorite hot dog would have to be a classic Chicago style dog. For a southerner, that’s not always available (but we do make them from time to time). But classic chili cheese dogs come in a close second. Plus, baseball is in full swing so it just seems like the right time for some.

So, Monday night I began the process, and cubed up 2 lbs of meat to make my chili. I was able to get 2 lbs from only 4 bones worth of ribs. They were some of the meatiest I’ve ever seen Or tasted.

D3D81508-6329-4743-B52B-B1324BE91BD6.jpeg 112C8353-CEF0-4A91-83A8-0FD9CF353939.jpeg
I cubed the meat and left a lot of the fat on. My plan was to get this meat cooked down really well, shredded to a consistent texture. I like a chunky chili but not when it comes to hot dog chili.

DECB376E-BD12-46D6-8A47-C38499FDE135.jpeg
I use all kinds of chili mixes, and even do my own sometimes. But I went with the sucklebusters. It’s a simple recipe and very mild. I wanted the smokiness of the beef ribs to remain so a milder chili seemed like the right choice.

8B621530-B1AD-497D-9D82-0D9D31C07C39.jpeg
2lbs chunked beef rib meat, one bell pepper and one onion very finely chopped with 6 toes of garlic (I used the ninja and minced it down to almost a liquid). Love my Magnalite when I need to cook something down really well, it does the trick!

7D6DF480-6B30-4C04-A03A-36DE5347DC40.jpeg
Chili all cooked down and the meat finely shredded. Had a great taste. I put it all up and into the fridge until the next nights dinner.

EB981B55-B342-456F-9436-9D4C744172FF.jpeg 1D0C664F-09B6-450D-9AAF-626CB5A29B3D.jpeg A3F99A91-C93A-4F80-817D-CCA44FD67B90.jpeg
So I came home from work tonight, after a long day. Took out my chili, finely chopped an onion, shredded some of my cold smoked cheddar cheese and voila....

Be hard to convince me there’s a much better chili dog out there! We are stuffed!

Oh man saint, that looks awesome. Slap some Fritos down next to them dogs with a little of your chili on top and that’s a party

Reactions: 73saint
Thanks everyone! I admit I goofed and forgot the Fritos. That would have been even better!

Looks great but I been making my chili then running it thru the ninja and it makes it the perfect consistency for chili dogs,don't know if I would have sacrificed the ribs :eek:

Great looking chili dogs you got there saint. Forget the Frito's and get some good crispy steak fries and smoother with you chili and cheese. ummmgoood.

Point for sure.

Chris

Reactions: 73saint
Thanks everyone! Kris, you know, that may not even be a southern thing. I have a tendency to create words that don't actually exist...so that may just be a me thing lol!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky