Homegrown sawdust for AMNS?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

czarcastic

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jan 17, 2011
Largo, FL and Dunlap, TN
Sorry if this is a taboo subject.

I tend to make a LOT of sawdust with my other hobby.  So I was wondering if anyone has had any experience using their own sawdust mix in their AMNS.

I figure between the bandsaw, tablesaw, planer and lathe, I probably fill up a 30-gallon trash can every month with shavings.

Anyone else use their own?  Any suggestions?

The only suggestion I have is that you need to keep it the same consistancy as what Todd sells so it will work correctly. If it is too fine or too corse it will not work well. Give it a try

Wonder if you could get one of those industrial super blenders they sell at Costco - run your stuff through it in batches till you get the consistancy you want..... Just dont do it with the wifes kitchen blender or she might be tempted to run you through the blender.... lol.

I would think that if it is too fine most of it will go through the holes. Scar is right you need a good consistant dust. I'm not sayin that fine dust won't work,cause it might but in todd's dust there is a mixture of bigger chips in along withe the finer particals.

Try it out.

keep us posted.

Have a great day!!

Craig

Sorry if this is a taboo subject.

I tend to make a LOT of sawdust with my other hobby.  So I was wondering if anyone has had any experience using their own sawdust mix in their AMNS.

I figure between the bandsaw, tablesaw, planer and lathe, I probably fill up a 30-gallon trash can every month with shavings.

Anyone else use their own?  Any suggestions?

Not taboo at all, but a GREAT question!!

Planer, shaper & lathe chips won't work because they have a little "Curl" to them.

Depending on the size of the sawdust from your bandsaw, it may be too fine.

Now, sawdust from your table saw or a miter saw should be absolutely "PERFECT"!

A 5 gallon bucket goes a very long way in the AMNS, so if you have a project where you're using your table saw or miter saw, it may be in your best interest to save this sawdust.  It may burn a little faster, but what the heck, It's Free!  Also, keep your sawdust in a sealed bag, or it will absorb humidity from the air.

Also, keep in mind that you want to save Hickory, Alder, Cherry and possibly other hardwood sawdust.  Pine and other soft woods are not recommended.

Hope This Helps!

Todd

Reactions: dale5351 and fpnmf
.... and all else fails you can always hit Todd up for a bag or three!
biggrin.gif

A 5 gallon bucket goes a very long way in the AMNS, so if you have a project where you're using your table saw or miter saw, it may be in your best interest to save this sawdust.  It may burn a little faster, but what the heck, It's Free!  Also, keep your sawdust in a sealed bag, or it will absorb humidity from the air.

Todd
As usual, Todd has lots of good info to share.  Even better than a sealed bag is a left over juice jug -- I drink a lot of Ocean Spray Cranberry mixes and keep the empty jugs to store sawdust in.  It was a suggestion I picked up from a post here.  Just remember to label the jugs as to what is in them.

Todd is correct about the miter saw and the table saw, they work fine, I use the dust bag on the miter saw to collect the dust (it's brand new, never used it before, then toss it in the washing machine after each type of wood, ...while mama's at work), but the table saw is too much of a hassle to clean up for smoking saw dust.

Oops, I use my joiner set at just under 1/8" for the larger pieces, then smash them a little in a 5 gallon plastic bucket with the end of a 2x4 ...guess my blades are getting dull. 
icon_redface.gif

Gene

Thanks everyone - and especially Todd - for your answers.  I've still got plenty of dust from my recent AMNS purchase, so it may be a while before I actually need any.

Todd - Thanks for your honesty and forthrightness.  Not too many business owners would do that and it says a lot about you.  Kudos to you!  
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Reactions: fpnmf
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky