Holding whole butts at 135*F overnight vs. refridgerating and reheating

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Hamdrew

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jan 17, 2021
Thoughts, downsides (including health risks etc)?

We are considering it. I am of course in favor if for nothing else other than experimentation. Holding 2" pork steaks overnight at the same temp is also on the table (though it is rare we don't sell out), vs. cooling and using for chili and anything else we fortify with pork.

Reactions: zippy12
I think 140* is a safer temp for holding. But yes should work. They will continue to break down connective tissue wise like a SV would do, so you may have to dial in the finished temp before going into hold, otherwise should be fine.
Are you using a warming/holding cabinet?

Just curious if it will dry out? Serious question because I really dont know.

When I make jerky, it is at a low temperature for a long time. Granted, my jerky is thin strips not 2" steaks, but I'd think the same principle would apply but over a longer duration.

Reactions: Hamdrew
The recommended Holding Temp is 140°F.
Yes, they will Dry out if not Foil Wrapped or in some other moisture tight container.
Yes, like SV, the Collagen will continue to breakdown. If your finished product will be Pulled, no issue. If Pork Steak is desired, smoke to 135°F and Hold there for 30 minutes before wrapping and Holding at 140°...JJ

Reactions: Hamdrew
I think 140* is a safer temp for holding. But yes should work. They will continue to break down connective tissue wise like a SV would do, so you may have to dial in the finished temp before going into hold, otherwise should be fine.
Are you using a warming/holding cabinet?
Yes, this is for a restaurant. The breakdown of connective tissue is the main concern. Ho
The recommended Holding Temp is 140°F.
Yes, they will Dry out if not Foil Wrapped or in some other moisture tight container.
Yes, like SV, the Collagen will continue to breakdown. If your finished product will be Pulled, no issue. If Pork Steak is desired, smoke to 135°F and Hold there for 30 minutes before wrapping and Holding at 140°...JJ
These are two inch pork steaks served with only a spoon. We do hold them during the day at 140*f. Was hoping you'd reply to this, thanks!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky